Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Coasters

Postby keelhauler » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 am

"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Re: Coasters

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:24 am

I only want the tin. drat. It's too bad it isn't four of one design.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:42 am

You only want the tin? Wow. I thought I was the only one that said stuff like that. I've got umpty bazillion tins and bottles of stuff all over the place at my house, purchased not for their contents but for what those contents were contained in.

Of course, Altoids never go bad, so there's no shortage of mints at my house. LOL.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:42 am

But yes, I love the tin! I would love to have my own designs on the tin even MORE.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:23 am

:lol: I love tens too, really any kind of fancy-fide box. I actually really like this set of costers. I mean, there were those leather ones years ago, and they wee ok, and there are the card bord once from irefly cargo bay (or what ever they call themselves) but I think I like this set much better. Though I agree I would kind of liked them to match. The could have put one design on one side, and one of the other designs on the other side, then you could have a match set or mix and match, just by turning them over.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby drewsmith007 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:25 am

Yellowjacket wrote:It's too bad it isn't four of one design.

Buy 4 sets, separate them into 4 sets of the same coaster, then resell the 3 sets you don't want. I'm sure you're not the only one who would want them all to match, I would.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby keelhauler » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 pm

The tin is the best part. Just like the dogtags..I really like the box.. the tags? meh. It would be nice to be able to get just the box and tin. I wonder if we asked them if they'd sell those two separately? probably not.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:21 pm

I know what we could do!

1. Go to Michaels/local craft store & buy the tin
2. Spray paint it
3. Cut out the logo in self-stick vinyl on a vinyl cutter/Cameo Silhoutte(tm) machine
4. Apply to tin

#3 would be the most expensive part of the operation. I don't have that machine but if I had the money, I'd buy one.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:10 pm

keelhauler wrote:I wonder if we asked them if they'd sell those two separately? probably not.

They would, but it would cost you the same due to shipping.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:25 pm

taimdala wrote:I know what we could do!

1. Go to Michaels/local craft store & buy the tin
2. Spray paint it
3. Cut out the logo in self-stick vinyl on a vinyl cutter/Cameo Silhoutte(tm) machine
4. Apply to tin

#3 would be the most expensive part of the operation. I don't have that machine but if I had the money, I'd buy one.

Oh, yes, they are very cool. My dad took me to the glass factory he works for, one time, and showed me around. Lot's of cool stuff, but the best part (for me) was the graphics office. He takes me in there, and shows me the computers, the huge printers that take giant reams of paper, and this big printer that cuts that adhesive vinyl. He told me they print out templates that they put on the glass, leaving just the areas they want exposed, and hen they sand blast it, remove the templates, and you have an etched image on the glass. Then he told me how they play with that machine, and all these other great machines in that room, all the time, making stuff just for fun. (like a fake milk carton, just so they could put a coworkers face on it, as a missing person, for laughs.) Of course I had about a million ideas, so I asked him if I could use it some time, to which he said, "this is a place of business, not a playground, we don't waste recourses here." I'm a trained artist (well mostly photography, but still.) and he knows that, and he wouldn't even let me use it, if I paid them for the materials. :(

However, some kinko's have vinyl sign printers. You can get some stuff done there, but they don't let you use them for copy righted stuff, so you have to find one that has the vinyl printer in their computer center, where you can sign up (and pay) for time, and then print them yourself, on their machines, and you still might get stopped, depending one who is working there. I haven't done the vinyl machines here myself but I of people who have, and I have printed a lot of copy righted stuff there, but some times I had to come back, two, or three, times, until I got a group of workers, that didn't recognize what I was printing, or just didn't care.

Or, we could find a place outside the country to make the decal.

Or, Or, we could just by this set o coasters, and be happy with that. :) We could have a coaster exchange. We each buy a set, keep one coaster desin for ourselves, and mail the others to those that kept those designs, untill each peson has one full set of matching costers. Or, we could all tell them we want sets in all one style, and maybe they will do that in their next run.
jason1976
Browncoat

Next

Return to The QMx Corner