Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Coasters

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: Coasters

Postby jason1976 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Actually, as much as I like tens, I'm not at all fond of the one that comes with this set. If I buy a set, I would be happy to pass the ten on to one of you. If I kept it, I would just end up putting some other design on it, and then it wouldn't be a collectable any more, so migth as well pass it on to someone that likes it the way it is.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:48 pm

If you buy a set...Sold. I mostly want the tin, because it has the Geoff Mandel version of the Blue Sun logo, which doesn't appear on many products.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Rats. As the saying goes: You snooze, you lose.

LOL!

Good catch, YJ. Me? I'm wondering if stamp ink and embossing powder will adhere on a tin like that. If so, custom printed stuff on a tin might only be ten inches away. (on the shelf behind my studio desk...) Heck, wi5h Krylon spray paint, I can even customize the color.

Ooohhhhh! Yeah!

OMG I need to go and gin up some labels to slap on a tin somewhere. I got a ton of them lying around! Will get back to y'all about the embossing powder idea ....

BYE!

*scampers off!*
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:If you buy a set...Sold. I mostly want the tin, because it has the Geoff Mandel version of the Blue Sun logo, which doesn't appear on many products.

Cool, I'll make a not of it, and if I buy a set (which I probably will at some point) I'll send the ten on to YJ. I owe you for all of those extra patches over the years, anyways. :)

taimdala wrote:I'm wondering if stamp ink and embossing powder will adhere on a tin like that. If so, custom printed stuff on a tin might only be ten inches away. (on the shelf behind my studio desk...) Heck, wi5h Krylon spray paint, I can even customize the color.

Ooohhhhh! Yeah!

OMG I need to go and gin up some labels to slap on a tin somewhere. I got a ton of them lying around! Will get back to y'all about the embossing powder idea ....

BYE!

*scampers off!*

OO, I'll be fallowing that with interest.

There is that artist in the south west, that sculpts panels out of plaster, then lays a sheet of ten on top (I think it's ten), and some explosives on top of that, then puts it out in the desert, sets off the explosive, and the heat, and pressure forms the ten to the plaster. The plaster is destroyed, but the resulting ten panel is beautiful. I have always wanted to try that, but living in a large city, and not having an explosives license, kind of prohibits me from doing tha. Soooooo, your idea sounds much safer, and well legal.
Last edited by jason1976 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:22 pm

Okie doke!

We can do this in 10 easy steps or less.

1. Start with a clean tin

2. Get your ink and stamp supplies.

3. Stamp

4. Dust with Embossing Powder

5. Tap out excess. Use a fine sable paint brush to get the really tricky hangers-on off your design.

6. Melt the powder with embossing heat tool.

CAUTION: THIS TĀ MĀ DE HÚNDÀN IS HOT!

If I were to do this again, I'd do this step on my cookie sheet and Sil-Pat liner instead of my cutting mat on top of my closed laptop. (Yikes!). The heat from the tin actually went through the paper and made a shiny blister on my cutting mat, but luckily it did not get as far as my laptop.

This tool is hellaciously dangerous if used improperly. After all, with a different plastic body slapped on it, it would be the tool contractors use to strip paint off your walls.

So … be careful.

7. This is what it looks like when it's fully melted. Wait until the powder and the tin is cool before you touch it. I've had still-liquid embossing powder on my skin before and it burns like a ... <insert expletive>.

8. See? Look Ma, it's not on my hands!

And this stuff is set, too. I couldn't scrape it off with my nails once it was cool.

If I were to do this right, instead of doing it quick and dirty, I'd make sure my stamp was WELL INKED. There were drop outs in the embossing as there was either no ink on the tin or it was too thinly applied and therefore dried too quickly to allow the powder to adhere. (Even though I breathed on it.)

Other options:
1. I could use Amazing Glaze and bake it in my oven (enclosed in a turkey roaster bag to keep the polyclay residue out of my food!) to make a clear "glass" protective coat. It's like the embossing powder, only it melts clear. Of course, this sort of thing works best if you have a lip to contain the Glaze. The inside bottom and the inside lid of this tin would be perfect. Given the depth of both, I could very easily drop in tiny paper pics or clock gears or other memorabilia to embellish/personalize the tin.

Really, the possibilities are darn-near endless.

2. I could customize the tin with spray paint. So, paint it first, then emboss/Amazing Glaze it.

3. I'm seriously considering taking orders as soon as I get to Michaels/AC Moore/etc. and scare up some suitable tins. Let me know if y'all want me to start up an interest thread on this. ;)
Last edited by taimdala on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm

i could be tempted for a tin
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Shiny, Keelhauler!

I'll get out there today and do some price checking on the tins. I have all the other stuff already, so the costs won't be so high.

Even though it's early stages yet, start thinking about what you'd like for a Verse-decorated tin. We have so MANY shiny paper props flyin' around here that it would be cinch to print them out, cut them out, and embed them on a stamped tin. If there's something you want embedded, let me know. Even if it needs to be sent out to me for embedding, I'm sure we could make it work. If it won't work, I'll let you know before anything's done.

We could have a lot of fun with this. LOL!

EDITED TO ADD:
This is not a new idea. It's actually an old one. BUT I doubt there are many (if any) Firefly ones out there on etsy and the like, much less custom personalized ones by yours truly.
Last edited by taimdala on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Oh, one more thing--does anyone know if I could do this embossing trick on GLASS BOTTLES? I was thinking if I filled them with room-temperature water past the embossing area, the heat transfer through the glass into the water would keep the glass from cracking or shattering on me.

Cuz, really, there's got to be a way. I've seen far too many cool bottles I couldn't keep because the label was embossed ink, instead of something removeable so I could play with it later.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:51 pm

It has to be a clean tin? I'm out. Seriously though, that is pretty cool, and your right, there are a lot of possibilities there.

As for the glass bottle thing, your idea may work, really couldn't say. But, I do know there is a glass etching chemical they sell at craft stores. (or at least they used to, I haven't looked in a wile.) It's another one of those things where you apply a template, use the chemical, and any where the template is not, it etches the glass, and then you remove the template.

Also, over at the RPF, in the Warehouse 13 Farnsworth thread thee is a lot of talk about different ways to etch brass at home. There are tons of tutorials online about it too. Basically you take your design, and have it copied (in B&W) on a laser copier, or print it from a laser printer (but it has to be laser) and don't forget to revers the image wall your at it. Then you lay that face down on the brass, and use an ordinary household iron, and run it all over the back of the paper. (use some pressure, but no steam.) let it cool a little, and when you peal of paper off the black parts of the image should have transferred to the brass. (I've heard some folks desalve the paper away, with either water, or let the chemical bath do the work, but I personally don't know what works best.) Then you use a chemical bath, that etches it anywhere the black is not, and then once you clean it you just remove the black from the parts the remain. (I think that's how it works, but you might want to read up on it some.) Anyway's, you can get the chemical at Radio shack. (they sell it for etching your own circuit boards, but you can use it for crafts too. ) Or if you really read up, you can get the same chemicals at Lowe's, if you know what your looking for, and were to look for it. (No, i'm not keeping secrets, I was just too lazy to ever finish reading any of the tutorials, so I don't know what the chemicals are called. :b) If the brass is thin enough, you can actually use that method to etch all the way threw, so that all that remained would bethe parts you have covered in black. Then clean the black away, etc. you could make brass parts, letters, designs, etc. that way, at home.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 pm

That sounds pretty cool! I know where to get thin Brass sheets, too.

On the topic of tins, I'll have to order them. The stores in my area stopped carry the tins a while back.

which only goes to show: the minute I stop haunting a store, they stop carrying the thing I need for a project.
taimdala
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to The QMx Corner