Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: "Film Scale" Serenity model

Postby Hunter0251 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks, I was getting worried
Hunter0251
Alliance soldier

Postby pennausamike » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:11 pm

pennausamike wrote:I left a comment that the big blue SERENITY looks like 1:100 scale, not 1:24th scale.
I mean, I'm not taking the time to dig out the blueprints, but isn't SERENITY over 240 feet long?
Which in turn would mean a 1:24th scale SERENITY would be over 10 feet long.
Curious to see what their response is.

Mike

Well, it looks like I was pretty close to right about this;
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1433
the 1/124 scale Serenity. Obviously just a typo.

pennausamike wrote:
saffronshubby wrote:SNIP
There's no way this will cost more than the BDR.

Wellllll, I wouldn't bet on that.
QMx is selling their 3 foot Enterprise for $6,995.00 and I THINK they have sold fairly well.
I'm thinking QMx is looking to put an Enterprise price tag on their new SERENITY replica.

Mike

And this as well.
I went back through the "propaganda" article
and Andy Gore claims to have sold "hundreds" of the $7,000 Enterprise models.
But Star Trek is a MUCH bigger fanbase, and honestly, encompasses a broader spectrum of people.

namebrand wrote:In all my conversations with Andy there were many cases where he shut down ideas
based on profit margins not being high enough and what the market would bear...
there's no way the Firefly market can bear such a thing.
I love Firefly fans but we tend to be pretty tight with the purse strings!

Seems to me like something he did just to keep the model builders busy and so he has something big to show off.

Andy says in the article that the profit margin on the big ships is very small.
My opinion is that the artisan projects are designed to keep QMx from becoming seen as ONLY a trinket company.
Let's face it; QMx has really read the profitable side of the Firefly market.
For whatever reason, cute swag priced under fifty bucks is the core Firefly market.
And I don't fault QMx for milking that market for all it's worth.
That is what makes sponsorship of the online game and fan films like Bellflower and The Verse possible.

My complaint is that QMx has literally ignored the prop market that launched the company
while maintaining, at least for a few years, that they wanted prop collectors' input.
(The way QMx has not just utilized maker's talents, but actually cheated them, is another discussion.*)
As tight with the purse strings as Firefly fans are,
there is a small but steady market for a few core items that I remain surprised that QMx ignores.
If I were to list them, I would go with:
a holster-able resin Firefly Mal pistol for under $150
a metal Firefly Mal pistol for under $1,000
a holster-able resin Jayne "Boo" pistol for under $150
a metal Jayne "Boo" pistol for under $1,000
and a few more, but my point is......
Why, for a company that claims its strength is understanding the market,
would QMx NOT cater to a market of probably 50 to 100 units of each resin prop per year,
and a dozen or so units of each artisan prop per year, (which could be farmed out to outside makers)
and choose instead to pour resources into a highly complex, in-house project like the $7,500 Serenity?
I totally get the swag; the mega-dollar Serenity replicas perplex me.

Mike

*I appreciate that QMx supports the online game and fan films like Bellflower and The Verse,
but I find it hard to believe that the only way to do that is by taking advantage of the "technicians"
whose creativity and talent are responsible for the products QMx wants to market.

EDITED TO ADD: the Firefly version of Mal's pistol
Last edited by pennausamike on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:53 pm

I hear ya, Mike. I wonder if Andy isn't on the hook to investors/shareholders (or looking to get some investors/shareholders) to produce insane/big ticket items as a way to "legitimize" the store, removing the "stigma" of fandom from the business so he can be taken "seriously".

In other words, who is he really selling to? He may listen to us fans and prop makers as sincerely as he wants, but at the end of the day, someone else is calling the shots. If that's really the case, who is it?
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Blue Sun.

I want to see more graphic material, like another Atlas.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:57 pm

AZSneed wrote:Blue Sun.

I want to see more graphic material, like another Atlas.

Me too! when I first started collecting Star Wars at 12, I focused on the print material over the 3D. It fit my storage space better and I would pore for hours over the images. I haven't changed all that much in the years since, save I have more money to build my collection with and enough knowledge to make paper props in PS if I can't find what I want.

(Printing costs, though ... Bozhe moi! they kill me!)

I want Vol. 2 of the Atlas of the Verse, too. Hell, I want Baedecker's Guide to the Verse (47th ed.). Now that would be something to see.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:02 am

I prefer printed material. I love to hold a book and read, or scan the pictures, to play with in MS Paint.

I like the tech side of a show and beside what has been released for Firefly/Serenity, I have blueprints and Tech Manuals from Star Trek, Star Wars, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, to name a few. I want more from Firefly/Serenity.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm

AZSneed wrote:I prefer printed material. I love to hold a book and read, or scan the pictures, to play with in MS Paint.

I like the tech side of a show and beside what has been released for Firefly/Serenity, I have blueprints and Tech Manuals from Star Trek, Star Wars, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, to name a few. I want more from Firefly/Serenity.

I do too and wish I could get more tech manuals and blueprints for my fave shows. I would LOVE a technical manual and blueprints for Firefly (the way Star Trek did theirs, which were good enough to build to-scale ship sections, IIRC).

My secret fantasy is to build a spaceship in my back yard and live in it they way you can live in your RV parked in your driveway. Water, sewer, power all hooked up. Let my family live in the house and wreck it. I'm done with cleaning up after them! They'll only get to come aboad at my ship on my express invitation.

I got a name all picked out, too.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:00 pm

taimdala wrote:
I do too and wish I could get more tech manuals and blueprints for my fave shows.
I would LOVE a technical manual and blueprints for Firefly
(the way Star Trek did theirs, which were good enough to build to-scale ship sections, IIRC).

I think the QMx Serenity Blueprint pack is done to scale,
and while a bit artsy in presentation,
there is lots of top view and side view info that should should provide the info you are looking for.

http://qmxonline.com/products/serenity- ... rence-pack
It says out of stock, but getting more.

I listed the original large size blueprints for sale awhile back, but they never sold.
QMx Serenity blueprint set for $110

Number 264 of 750, 18" by 24", signature sheet signed by Geoff Mandel and Timothy Earls,
The Serenity blueprint pack has additional info on markings and such not included in the blueprints.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Awwww ..... shiny!!! Thanks for posting the pic, Mike. I love the blueprint weights you anchored the drawings with. Very engineer-like. ;)
taimdala
Browncoat

Previous

Return to The QMx Corner