Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Kaylee statue

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Kaylee statue

Postby keelhauler » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:30 pm

"Ready for more, Browncoats? Who are we kidding -- of course you are. Another reveal for QMx at NYCC 2014 is the next statue in our Master Series line, Kaylee! She's being kept company here by our 1:6 Scale Articulated Mal Figure."

Master Series? what others have they done? At least it looks like Kaylee, but I think the her pose is a little un-Kaylee like.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Re: Kaylee statue

Postby taimdala » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:57 pm

"Master Series? what others have they done?" -- Every series has to start somewhere and this is where it starts. After all, you name it a series at the beginning as well as at the end, right?

There's something off about the contraposto in Kaylee's stance ... It doesn't look right, somehow. It's obvious, however, which photo reference they used for the figure. That lopsided grin and pink flowery shirt gave it away.

I'm glad they're following Mal with Kaylee. Between the two of them, they represent the two sides of Serenity's heart and soul. It's fitting that the kick the series off.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby neverAcquiesce » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:58 pm

taimdala wrote:"Master Series? what others have they done?" -- Every series has to start somewhere and this is where it starts. After all, you name it a series at the beginning as well as at the end, right?

Mal was the first one.

taimdala wrote:There's something off about the contraposto in Kaylee's stance ... It doesn't look right, somehow. It's obvious, however, which photo reference they used for the figure. That lopsided grin and pink flowery shirt gave it away.

Maybe it's Mal's pistol pointed in her general direction.
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby keelhauler » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 pm

taimdala wrote:I'm glad they're following Mal with Kaylee. Between the two of them, they represent the two sides of Serenity's heart and soul. It's fitting that the kick the series off.

Kaylee doesn't really follow Mal. Kaylee is a statue and Mal is a doll, um, I mean articulated figure. Kaylee is part of the Master Series (whatever that is) and is apparently the "next" one in the series implying there was a previous Master Series statue. ....... Ah, just figured it out. Mal with the flag was/is the first statue. Still don't like the flag with that one though.

EDIT... oh, were you referring to the Mal/flag statue?
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:01 pm

For years I collected ever scale of star wars, and star trek, figure they released, then when I started joining collector clubs, they all asked what my "focus" was. They said no-one could possibly collect every figure, in ever scale. "You should either collect your favorite character, in every form avalible, or collect all the characters, in one scale, but no-one collects every one, in every scale".

I really don't think anyone should tell anyone else how, or who to collect. If it makes a person happy, and it's not hurting anyone, then more power to them.

As for firefly stuff, We have companies, working on Little Damn Heroes, Big Damn Heroes, 3.75" figures, 6" figures, 12" (1/6 scale) figures, 1/6 scale statues, oh and whatever those big headed things were called a wile back, oh and those spireman eyed things in the mystery packs. and, and........... But you know what, they did the exact same thing, and way more, for star wars, and star trek. (I know, because I have had most of them at one, point or another. :lol:)

This time around, I personally, am not going crazy, like I did with the SW and ST stuff. I will be getting the whole crew in 6". I will be getting the 1:6 Mal figure, and as much as I would love to have the rest in that scale, I have neither the money, nor the space.(I have the parts to make my own Rive, if I could get someone to paint the head for me, But I may give in and get a 12" Jayne, or Zoe, but I love Wash too, and then there's Kaylee.....NO! NO, I WONT BE SUCKED IN AGAIN!) I would still love to get the LDH river, other then that, and the wash I already have, I don't want any more of those. I may buy one or two of the 3.75" figures, just for fun. (they don't take up much space) With the 6" figures coming up, I probably will not be buying any more BDH (Unless they continue to make the ladies look way hotter as statues then they ever did on the show) And I personally would much rather have the 12" figures, then any 12" statue. And that's about all I want, but that's me. And like with the SW and ST stuff, even the weirdest stuff will find it's audience.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:10 pm

She looks so....I'll be in my bunk.Image
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 pm

keelhauler wrote:
taimdala wrote:I'm glad they're following Mal with Kaylee. Between the two of them, they represent the two sides of Serenity's heart and soul. It's fitting that the kick the series off.

Kaylee doesn't really follow Mal. Kaylee is a statue and Mal is a doll, um, I mean articulated figure. Kaylee is part of the Master Series (whatever that is) and is apparently the "next" one in the series implying there was a previous Master Series statue. ....... Ah, just figured it out. Mal with the flag was/is the first statue. Still don't like the flag with that one though.

Actually, no! I didn't catch the nuances you did between the two Mals. You're right of course. One is a straight up statue and static, while the Mal in this picture above is an articulated figure and part of a *different* series.

Thanks for setting me straight, KH!

But yeah, maybe it's the viewing angle but Kaylee's pose still looks off to me. Michaelangelo's David has the same pose, but Michaelangelo executed it better. I think maybe Kaylee's right-hand-on-hip/elbow-cocked is what's throwing it out of whack for me.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:25 am

keelhauler wrote:At least it looks like Kaylee, but I think the her pose is a little un-Kaylee like.

Given how Kaylee landed the ship's mechanic position, I can see Kaylee in that pose.
At least the 1/6 scale figures are sculpted by someone who can do decent likenesses of the crew.
I would consider these if money was no object.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:49 pm

taimdala wrote:
keelhauler wrote:

Actually, no! I didn't catch the nuances you did between the two Mals. You're right of course. One is a straight up statue and static, while the Mal in this picture above is an articulated figure and part of a *different* series.

Thanks for setting me straight, KH!

But yeah, maybe it's the viewing angle but Kaylee's pose still looks off to me. Michaelangelo's David has the same pose, but Michaelangelo executed it better. I think maybe Kaylee's right-hand-on-hip/elbow-cocked is what's throwing it out of whack for me.

I figured from the start they were talking about the 1/6 scale Mal statue, that was out before the 1/6 scale Mal figure they are working on now. Though it would have made more since for them to have put one of their Mal statues next to Kaylee, instead of the Mal figure, and then put the Mal figure somewhere else in the display. I would much rather have the Mal figure then the Mal statue, but unlike most people. I LOVE the flag with the Mal statue. (I actually planned on doing a picture exactly like that, if I ever lost weight and got back into my Mal costume, and then they released that statue, and I was like "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" :lol:)

With this Keylee statue, I feel like they are trying to hit to many marks. I mean, they have that iconic parasol, but instead of having her with her hair up, with the blue jacket, they have her in her iconic overalls, with her hair down. I would have rather seen them either have her look as she did in the first episode, when she had the parasol, blue jacket, hair up, etc. or put a rinch, or something, in her hand, and put her in a more natural pose.

I will say this, seeing this statue, next to this figure, it makes me wish they did a series of 2 figure mini statues. I mean, the interaction between the characters, is one of the things I love most about any Joss's shows. So, I would kind of like a line, around the size, and style, of the BDH line, maybe a little smaller, with 2, or more, figures interacting. Maybe even cartooned up a bit. Like maybe A keylee looking at a Simon adoringly, wall he is looking pertinacious. etc. I could see that being right up Qmx's ally. They would get to pair less popular characters (like Simon) ,with more popular ones, to make sure they can sell something with the lesser loved character. And, the biggest selling point for them, Qmx is unlike any other line of figures they might do, they wouldn't have to stop with the 9 crew members. They could just keep right on going, as long as they could think of combos of characgters, interacting.
jason1976
Browncoat

Return to The QMx Corner