Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Serenity Hull Art

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: Serenity Hull Art

Postby neverAcquiesce » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Miker wrote:Serenity on the edge of a cliff is my favorite shot so far hands down.

:serenity1:

I like the dusk takeoff shot at the end of Heart of Gold myself.
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:18 pm

Does anyone on Facebook understand what a 'replica' is? I honestly belief that most QMX lemmings belief that 'replica' and 'widely defined approximation' are the same thing. QMX is lowering the standard for what replica means.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:10 am

This why qmx can seel this crap, lemmings indeed.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:37 am

Yellowjacket wrote:...the First CGI model of Serenity had a pin-up art, and I really wish we had a high res image of it. I doubt Andy is even aware of that.

Serenity Logo Original.jpg

Interesting that the nose art was changed at least once even in its pin-up form - notice how the pin-up is bigger and "SERENITY" is smaller in the second image.

I'm pretty sure this is the original image:

Serenity Logo 1.jpg

The Firefly CGI artist made her swimsuit darker, but I'm almost certain it's the same image. It looks like he didn't even adjust the olive green background - just faded it out a bit at the edges. Also, it looks like he removed the halo.

And here it is with a bit of Photoshop to make it look even closer:

Serenity Logo 3.jpg
Last edited by Beery on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 11 times in total.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby AZSneed » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:57 am

Excellent find and PSing.

On a movie prop house web site, they were selling the replica QMx bills from the BDM, and they had this to say about QMx,
" This great set is made by replica props experts QMx." Is that a fair statement?
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:06 am

To be honest, I'm not sure I'm willing to criticize QMx too much on this. They are at least putting stuff out there for fans to buy. Personally, I'd prefer half-baked stuff got released than nothing at all. On the other hand, perfect would be best and QMx does seem to be making the good the enemy of the great, in that they have released something that's okay, and so they probably won't release anything better unless literally EVERYONE complains about it.

The other thing I'm concerned about is that QMx already has problems keeping stuff in stock - everything seems to be a limited edition with them. Not sure why that is, but it suggests that money is tighter than I'd like, given that I want to see more Firefly stuff from them, and if everyone complains, maybe they'll just stop making Firefly stuff.

I dunno. I'm willing to give them a break on this, I guess.

I'm more concerned that they could be putting out more accessible stuff like plastic model kits of Serenity instead of nonsense like this ridiculous nose art garbage and bloated super-detailed large scale fully-built $350 cutaway replicas for people who have more money than sense (sorry, people who have more money than sense, but you do) and $7500 models for the super-rich who literally have money to burn. I mean, I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the mark-up on a fricken 3ft long model that they have to pay people to design, mould, produce, build and ship (very carefully) must be ridiculously low, and really, where is the customer base for that sort of thing? I mean, I have embarrassing amounts of extra cash to spend, and even I won't go anywhere near that far.

And on the other end of the scale, they're making cheapass Firefly key rings and necklaces with all the quality and care that the "Made in China" label conveys. Maybe that's where they make all their money - on the "wobbly headed doll capers".

In my opinion, QMx's biggest problem is incompetence at the design stage, and it is nicely illustrated by their "Map of the 'Verse": these are currently only in stock in their folded format. presumably, some idiot at QMx felt that folding a poster was the way to go, so all I can buy is the folded version, which looks like crap if you want to hang it on a wall - and it doesn't work as a folded map either, because it's too big, they folded it wrongly and didn't give it a proper front page - because it's meant to be a poster, not a folded map. And why a two-sided poster? If I hang it, I can't see both sides, and it's too big to use as an image to admire on a coffee table. As it is, it's completely useless. The lack of forethought at the design stage is astonishing. It would be better if they made up their minds BEFORE they actually produced the stuff: either design it to be two single-sided posters or design it to be a folded map - you can't do both. I mean, for goodness sake QMx, use some fricken common sense - it's not rocket science. The apparent incompetence and lack of knowledge about how customers will want to use their stuff is what really gets me - it's so frustrating.
Last edited by Beery on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby keelhauler » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:01 pm

AZSneed wrote:Excellent find and PSing.

Yes, excellent find indeed!

AZSneed wrote:On a movie prop house web site, they were selling the replica QMx bills from the BDM, and they had this to say about QMx,
" This great set is made by replica props experts QMx." Is that a fair statement?

Nope
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:24 pm

QMx started by selling props, then moved to souvenirs. As we all know here, why sell props if souvenirs sell. After they stopped putting out stuff I wanted, I stopped buying from them. They started so good, then.....
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:47 pm

I just wish that, whatever they sell, they would at least design the stuff competently. As I mentioned before, half the stuff on their site just doesn't work from an end user's standpoint.

A good example is the "Leaf on the Wind" keyring. When you get it, you can either use it as a keyring or take the keyring off and use the necklace that they included. Unfortunately, as with the Map of the 'Verse, it's designed to be two things, but it works as neither:

1. As a key ring, the item is not sturdy enough: the Firefly is attached too loosely and it falls off if it gets too much pressure - and putting it in one's pocket with keys is almost certain to provide the necessary pressure.

2. As a necklace, the level of detail is too low - it's too sturdy for the purpose and as a result it just looks cheap.

QMx needs to stop designing things to be multifunctional. They need to figure out what a thing needs to be, and make it to be that thing, and ONLY that thing. Or, if they want a thing to be two things, they need to design it in two different ways, so it can be both things.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:20 pm

AZSneed wrote:
On a movie prop house web site, they were selling the replica QMx bills from the BDM, and they had this to say about QMx,

To be fair, yes, but only in the context of the time. Geoff Mandell, a replica prop expert in his own right designed those bills for the movie and they were replicated directly from his files. The map included with the bills was also taken directly from his files. As that was one of the very first props out of the gate for QMx, and the statement was true in that context.

I just wish it was still true.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to The QMx Corner