Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Another Jayne t-shiioooot. What the hell?

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: Another Jayne t-shiioooot. What the hell?

Postby taimdala » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:23 pm

You know the saying, "The world waits for no man."

Well, I have a saying too: No man (or woman) should wait for the world, lest s/he never gets what s/he needs.

I'm not waiting on QMx, guys. What I can make for myself, I'm making. I'm done with waiting.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:10 am

No patience, a Jedi you will not become. Image
I agree, why wait, do or do not, there is no try.....damned, I am stuck in Star Wars mode....HELP!
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:35 am

I want my 12" mal, after that, let them die.

I used to subscribe to the idea of supporting them so that one day, we would get our props. But, you know what? Icons, did some star wars props, along with a few other franchises, their business model failed, they died, and years later, we got Master Replicas. MR, brought better props, in greater quantity, but they too failed, and died, and we got eFX. (or whatever the new guys doing star wars props are.)

The same things has happened with most of the other major prop franchises. There is demand, so a company rises up, and tries, and when they fail, if there is still demand, a new company rises up. (and hopefully learned a thing or two from the fall of the company before them) Actually, it's true of any business.

So, let Qmx die a horrible, fiery death, and if there is demand, a new company may rise up, and if not, then we will go back to making unlicensed props, without Qmx breathing down our necks. (though we will still have Fox to deal with.)

Sereously! I mean, no-one at Qmx should be surprised, if the company does die. You can only hold your middle figure up to your customers so many times, before they hold theirs up in response.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:08 pm

In my opinion, QMx ISN'T going to go away.
They have accurately sussed out that the Browncoat fandom, by-and-large, is a cutesy swag buying fandom.
I'm sure their latest "adorable" bunnies shirt will sell just fine.
I guess I just can't believe that an ACTUAL Jayne shirt line, released at about two per year,
wouldn't be a hot seller, as well.
And wouldn't it be nice if a company that went into business as a replica prop company,
actually released at least one replica prop per year?

Like it or not, we are stuck with QMx, and probably for a long time.
As long as they ignore the small runs of fan-made replica props,
and continue to support things like "The Verse" and the Firefly online game;
I'll continue to view QMx as a disappointment, but at least not too much of an encumbrance,
to the replica prop hobby.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:29 pm

I agree, that wile they missed the mark with fans like us, there (sadly) is a market for their junk, but I still don't see it as a sustainable model. Is there more of a market for the stuff they sell, then there would be for expensive replica props? Most certainly. (especially in this exogamy, Whether you believe it's recovering, or not, there are still a lot of folks that can't afford expensive toys, that just set on shelves.)

I never thought, they would crash, and burn, if the few, active members here, stopped buying from them. I think they will actually crash and burn, because they keep multiplying the mistakes they make. Promus firefly props, and specific items, they don't deliver on? Fine, but then they did the same thing with Stargate, buffy, doctor who, warehouse 13, star trek, batman, etc.etc.etc. The keep adding properties, and keep ticking people off. Producing run of the mill t-shirts, and nick-nacks, and the occasional poor quality prop. Yes, in some of those other franchises they have offered high end, "artisan" props, but they are expensive, and few and far between. All the other dead prop companies, spread themselves too then, and with Qmx adding new properties all the time, I think they have a limited future.

I don't see them dying tomorrow (unfortunately) but I do see it in their future, or at the very least a major scaling bake.

I prefer they let the prop license go. It's clearly, far from there priority so, they should stay with the junk they like making, and let the prop license get sold to a company that actually cares to use it. Bui, in stead, they are going to keep setting on something they have no real intention of using, to it's full potential.

Just think of the access they have had. Think of the real props they have held in their grubby little hands, and thing what could have been done, if those opportunities had been given to people who truly love props, and honestly want to bring prop replicas to the masses.

Qmx thinks by holding on to the license, and dangling a caret or two, in front of collectors like use, will be enough to keep use waiting, but life is short, and so is the life span of the market, and they are wasting a good license, and they are going to go right on wasting it.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Oh, and as for the underground. Firefly fans hake some of the finest underground prop replicas out there.

When I joined the RPF, over 15 years ago, I was so excited that there was a prop underground. So much so, I was ticked when MR got a license, and stole a lot of our research, and hard work, only to make less then accurate props, and higher prices then we had on the forums. (I know licenses cost a lot, etc. etc. etc.) But over the years, I received some really awful products. People would post in the threads, how great they were, and how great the price was, but more often then not, what I would receive was nothing sort of abysmal. I am very happy to say, that has rarely been the case with firefly fans, and the fine folks here. If you buy an A agreed item, that's usually what you get, and if it's anything less then that, the seller usually tells you, before you pay a penny.

We few, we happy few, we fans of firefly.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:45 pm

One reason I think that QmX grabs licenses is to keep others from putting out what we want. Take Revell NOT being able to produce a model kit of Serenity, because qMX has the rights to put out Serenity "models". A model builder builds the way they want it, not what is offered, like the pre-painted snap together models offered for kids too lazy and no patience to build models.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 am

AZSneed wrote:One reason I think that QmX grabs licenses is to keep others from putting out what we want. Take Revell NOT being able to produce a model kit of Serenity, because qMX has the rights to put out Serenity "models". A model builder builds the way they want it, not what is offered, like the pre-painted snap together models offered for kids too lazy and no patience to build models.

:lol: the snap together, easy to assemble, models, are the only kind of models I like to "build", and the only kind of "serenity" model I would buy. :lol: But, I totally agree with you about Qmx. :)
jason1976
Browncoat

Previous

Return to The QMx Corner