"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Re: Firefly Lighter

Postby Badger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Yes!
of course, that's it!

Silly of me......
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby taimdala » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Sure, Jayne did smoke cigars. But would he have chosen a lighter with the Independent Stars and Bars on it? After all, he did say, "I didn't fight in no war."
Last edited by taimdala on Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Yes, I doubt he would have chosen that lighter, for the reason you state. Other than saying I don't particularly mind it, I'm not trying to defend QMx's decision to release this trinket. I was just pointing out that a main character does smoke, and that smoking is a part of the show, and therefore it could be viewed as a prop. Not saying it's a great prop - I wouldn't use it, but some folks might. In other words, if you do enough rationalizing, it is possible to claim it's a prop.

That's all I'm saying. Anyone who has read my earlier posts knows I'm not in the business of defending QMx. Personally, I think they're a particularly incompetent bunch of cowboys, hacks and profiteers. But this trinket is a whole lot better than the plush Serenity, so I'm willing to cut QMx some slack on this one.
Last edited by Beery on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby Badger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:36 pm

No offense intended, your view is of course your own.

I myself don't think it can be viewed as a prop, as I don't think it was intended as such.

Personally, I wouldn't cut QMx any slack. They've used up their allocation many times over.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Beery » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Badger wrote:Personally, I wouldn't cut QMx any slack. They've used up their allocation many times over...

Yeah, I know. But I'd rather they produce stuff like this, which is is infinitely better than the plush Serenity. At least a cosplayer "can" use this as a non-canon prop. No way anyone who was creating a cosplay Firefly character could use a plush Serenity.

And I see where you're coming from - I realize you'd prefer actual reproduction props more than something for cosplay. Heck, I would too. But what I'm saying is that this is at least part-way there. After all, before this, QMx was going in a direction that only served the most casual fans.

What I'd like to avoid is QMx just dismissing us as "folks who are never satisfied" - i.e. haters. If they read these forums, I'd prefer to try to steer them in the right direction. While I'm more than willing to criticize when they completely screw up, there is a point where the adage "You catch more flies with honey" applies, and I think this is one where the hardcore props fans need to kinda "take one for the team". But that's just my opinion.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby Badger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:07 pm

I take your points, and agree with almost all of them.

I will say that there is a lot of history here concerning QMx
Is my viewpoint biased? Absolutely! I was their Design Director for a while.

While the trinkets/posters/plushies is their bread and butter, I feel I speak for a lot of people here when I say that I find Qmx sitting on the prop replica/s license offensive. They don't produce anything.

They've had ample feedback and encouragement from the fanbase. They've been sitting on a portfolio of my own prop replica ideas for years now.

There IS a market, but if they're not going to produce anything prop related, why not let the licenses lapse and let someone who gives a shit have a go?

Where is the QMx metal Mal pistol?

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby AZSneed » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:17 pm

If they would at least put out more paper props, or finish the ones they started. But, no, souvenirs only.

Also, a match is better than a lighter for cigars, or so I have heard.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:24 pm

AZSneed wrote:Also, a match is better than a lighter for cigars, or so I have heard.

Yeah. Zippo lighters use liquid lighter fuel, which cigar aficionados say changes the flavor of a cigar. As I understand it, butane lighters or cedar matches are best.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby Goodwolf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Badger wrote:While the trinkets/posters/plushies is their bread and butter, I feel I speak for a lot of people here when I say that I find Qmx sitting on the prop replica/s license offensive. They don't produce anything.

But neither does anybody else, and that seems to be the important thing. No competition to worry about making you do all that tedious stuff that fans might want to do, but would cut into your profit margin.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Previous

Return to The QMx Corner