Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Atlas of the Verse NOW AVAILABLE

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: Atlas of the Verse NOW AVAILABLE

Postby keelhauler » Sat May 15, 2010 4:09 am

Funnily, I'm really excited about getting the keychain. I am going to hang one from my rearview mirrow.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat May 15, 2010 4:12 am

Now I'm ever so tempted to buy two and cover them in fuzzy pink flocking for my own mirror.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Akin » Sat May 15, 2010 4:22 am

Yellowjacket wrote:Well, people are receiving their keychains now, so it shouldn't be much longer.

Oh are they? Cool!
Akin
Independent Army - Special Ops

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 am

If you don't have one, this is a decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191150359897
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 pm

So.....when is Volume 2 coming out?Image
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Fri May 22, 2015 2:45 pm

I predict ... Never.

Cuz QMx will set up a brain trust with a bunch of idealistic Verse Expansionists to dream up info and graphics, have them sign an NDA, have them turn the work in, and then decide at the last minute not to go to print ... and thereby removing all that lovely EU material from the wider fan community. Thanks to the NDA, we can't use it.

If I were invited, I'd decline. I don't want QMx getting its gorram grubby mitts on my Head Canon. They can't take the sky from me if I don't offer it up on a platter, you know?
Last edited by taimdala on Fri May 22, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Fri May 22, 2015 3:38 pm

taimdala wrote:They can't take the sky from me if I don't offer it up on a platter...

And that, I think, nicely sums up the future of Firefly fandom. Our imaginations are the only thing businesses like Fox and QMX can't touch. In my view, the future lies in the punk ethos of "Do It Yourself". I think we have to imagine the wider 'Verse ourselves (and thanks to Fox there's a whole lot of it left to imagine) and spread the word and the goodies we choose to make without involving any corporations.

The great thing about Firefly is that it's a mix of high and low tech. Such a lot of the stuff we can reproduce doesn't need the 3D printing or technology that would be essential to making props from the average sci-fi show. All we need to recreate a scene that could take place in the 'Verse is a cheap Denix reproduction Western revolver, a Hawaiian shirt, a sign written in English and Chinese on a crate of wobbly-headed geisha dolls and maybe a parasol, and a set of blue latex gloves for the baddies - all stuff you can pick up at a yard sale or make using a home printer. Put it all together in a cow pasture (or alternatively at a sci-fi convention) and you're all set for a caper.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Fri May 22, 2015 3:47 pm

YUP! Pretty much.

They can't take the LARP from me, either. ;)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Fri May 22, 2015 4:26 pm

AZSneed wrote:So.....when is Volume 2 coming out?Image

And the thing is, it's not really the fact that it's a business that's the problem - I'd be happy to see people signing NDAs and selling their work to a business that forged the ideas into a decent product. Any half decent company would figure out the best way to make and sell stuff, and afterwards it would follow through on its successful products and everyone would be better off. Heck, even Gale Force 9 (although not the most competent company when it comes to shipping or restocking) has at least managed to release a number of expansions to its Firefly game - they got behind a successful product and they are serving the fans what we want. Everybody wins.

But QMX releases stuff half-baked, then I suppose they wonder why it doesn't sell: a double-sided folded map of the 'Verse that was obviously designed to be a single-sided poster; an Atlas of the Verse that should have had three or four times as many pages, and whose unwieldy physical size makes it effectively useless; a Firefly model that is so big that even the super-wealthy folks who can afford it probably have no place big enough to display it; a Serenity hull art reproduction that went through a redesign and they didn't even get it right the second time. The company, as far as I can see, is filled with what we English used to call "cowboys" - a bunch of cock-up artists who couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery - couldn't run a bring & buy sale. Presumably they are lurching between the occasional mediocre success and utter failure, all the while propped up by the fact that people who actually want Firefly stuff are buying any old rubbish the company decides to make.

Sometimes it seems to me that Firefly has been cursed to be mishandled by every company it comes into contact with. Any decent business could have made Firefly into the 21st Century's version of Star Wars, but Fox and QMX seem to be doing their best to to turn it into Starcrash:

"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Fri May 22, 2015 4:55 pm

OMG, Star Crash was hideous! I saw it in the theatres when it came out, mostly because Star Wars was on hiatus at the Vogue Theatre in Chula Vista (on 3rd Ave.) and I was jonesing for anything sci-fi. The DVD box art actually makes it look better than it really is.
taimdala
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to The QMx Corner