Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

QMX metal Mal Pistol

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: QMX metal Mal Pistol

Postby Malmeansbad » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm

I think they thought about that one.

The german guy specifically asked me to smash the old one up with a hammer and send me a picture of that before he refunded me.

So I did as he asked, even though it did feel horrible to do so...

Malmeansbad
Alliance soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:33 pm

Posted on the QMx Facebook page on April 9th -

"Dear QMX,
Myself and a couple of other brown-coats have been asking if there will ever be an all-metal Mal Reynolds gun, I just wanted to let you all know that I think it will be unbeatably popular! Please respond so that I can inform the brown-coats of the internet.
Yours Truly,
Francisco"

Response...

"Hi Tuto! Thanks for your question. We've been looking to do an "extra-jazzed up" version of the Mal pistol, but nothing's on the horizon *just* yet. We will have some Mal Pistol (and more Firefly weaponry!) things to show in the future though. Stay tuned!"

Follow up question...

"Good to hear! I will be waiting anxiously for it! Tell me, are you guys planning on making the action (trigger, hammer) work? Also, will it be made of a stronger material? Please respond! Thanks a Bunch!"

Response...

"we honestly couldn't say, since it's not a product we're actively developing. If we eventually have news to share on this front though, you can bet we'll let you know here. "

They answered a similar inquiry a week before...

"Product development is not easy and snags can occur for a million different reasons. That's the nature of business: sometimes plans don't go as expected. Announced products get pushed back, or possibly even cancelled. We wouldn't be the first company to run into it, and we certainly won't be the last. We'd love to wave the magic wand and make every single project we undertake happen, but that isn't always the reality. Simple as that.

That said, If the pistol project eventually does get off the ground, we hope you'll still give it a look."
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:02 pm

The usual bollocks, then :)

B
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:38 pm

I love how Andy's people always go for exaggerated imagery instead of straight talk.

"We'd love to wave the magic wand and make every single project we undertake happen..."

Why not just say... "We needed the funding to chase after licenses in a demographic where we haven't yet made enemies"
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:22 am

Do they have any friends?

Years ago they stopped sending me email offers and such, so that told me, they did not need me to shop with them.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby namebrand » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:29 am

Of course there are problems that can stop projects from happening...the problem they have faced is announcing things before they even investigate what would be needed. They also have no interest in things that could earn them low profit margins just to give people what they want...they'd rather have 500% markup and try to make people want what's being offered. Karl had plenty of ideas that wouldn't have cost a fortune to produce, but not ENOUGH profit for the powers that be to think it worthwhile.
namebrand
Serenity Crew Member

Postby AZSneed » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:13 am

Exactly!
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:12 am

I went to the first meeting in LA with notes and designs for 180 Firefly projects, including the small scale 'Verse weapons collection that they 'came up with' recently, empty PAL cases for MP3 players and walky talkies, a 'Message' thumb drive for your keyring.
All cheap to produce and low cost to the fans. As Namebrand says it's not that wouldn't be profitable, it's just that they wouldn't make a minimum 500%.

Also, it does seem that whoever wrote the copy quoted above fundamentally misunderstands the word 'Undertake'. to undertake means to take it on and make it happen, not announce it loudly and fail to deliver :)

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby pennausamike » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:29 am

Badger wrote:SNIP
Also, it does seem that whoever wrote the copy quoted above fundamentally misunderstands the word 'Undertake'.
to undertake means to take it on and make it happen, not announce it loudly and fail to deliver :)

Badger

Sorry to disagree, ol' chap, but you are forgetting that "undertake"
can also refer to dead and buried;
as in,"the undertakers at QMx have buried the metal Mal so deep, it'll never be found."
:D

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:16 am

I stand corrected. Indeed it does.

:)

There's nothing wrong with making a healthy profit. You have an idea, you get the product made, sell it and make a profit, it's the core of commerce.

But it can go wrong. Take this entirely theoretical example.

A leatherworker is approached to make wallets. He spends a lot of time on research and development, all at his own expense. He makes a LOT of prototoypes to make sure the wallet is screen accurate down to the buckles (yes, wallets can have buckles) and the theoretical company is happy. He even provides all the product photography and ad copy for them.
They duly announce the wallet with flourish and fanfare.

The pricing structure is based on a run of 500 wallets, but in 100 unit blocks to help with the theoretical company's cashflow. The first 100 units is ordered and the leatherworker makes them one by one, by hand.
The wallet price per unit, based on 500 units is $0.90
The company says they'll sell the wallets at $1.80 a piece, so they'll make a healthy profit and the loyal fans of the wallet will be happy.
Everyone wins. Yay!

The wallets are delivered.
The theoretical company then decides they want more money from the fans for the wallets. They up the retail price to $3.99 per wallet. They order the 2nd of the agreed upon 5 units of 100 wallets and the leatherworker makes them and delivers them. They sell, but more slowly, because fans of the wallet think it should be cheaper, and they're right.

Wallet sales slow down because, frankly, the wallet is overpriced for what it is and the theoretical company calls the leatherworker and says they're not going to order or pay for the other 300 units agreed upon, when the price of $0.90 was set.
This is pretty unlucky for the leatherworker, because the tooling to make the wallets was amortized over 500 units, not 200 units. So, the hapless leatherworker got stuck with the R&D, 3/5ths of the tooling costs and the material costs, plus labour, all for 90 cents a unit.
The theoretical company didn't even invest in any stock, as they had the wallets on pre-order, but still made $3.09 per wallet.

Don't laugh, it could happen.......

:)

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

PreviousNext

Return to The QMx Corner