Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Which Firefly props should QMx make in the future?

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Which Firefly props should QMx make in the future?

Jayne's Boo (Resin and high end metal/wood version)
13%
Zoe's Mares leg
6%
Working PAL device with belt clip
9%
Tall Cards (metal astrological) 
6%
Tall cards (round) and rules for play
8%
Overlanders patches
3%
Firefly banknotes
7%
Mule license plate
2%
Jayne T-Shirts
7%
Wash's Dinosaurs
3%
Alliance food bars (molds?)
7%
River & simon wanted poster/translight
1%
River's translight used by the blue hands
2%
Book's ident card
3%
Alliance logo stickers (like on the crates of medicine in Train Job, etc)
3%
Serenity pop-up, light up grenades
11%
Simon’s Baton - Serenity
2%
St.Lucy's hospital ID badges
3%
Mal in space suit statue
1%
Jayne statue
4%

Total votes : 180

Re: Which Firefly props should QMx make in the future?

Postby Goodwolf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:57 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:
Goodwolf wrote:But that's soap and not the mold and too small in the bargain.

Agreed, but let's compare it to the QMx version that ha...oh wait.

I see what you did there...
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:28 am

I've posted our top seven wants from this poll to the QMx Facebook page. Join in and sound off.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby QMx GGD » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:24 am

Actually, I'd prefer to keep this over here. ;-) I've got it bookmarked.
QMx GGD

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:27 am

Our top seven wish list has been removed from the QMx Facebook page. Move along. Nothing to see.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:I've posted our top seven wants from this poll to the QMx Facebook page. Join in and sound off.

QMx GGD wrote:Actually, I'd prefer to keep this over here. ;-) I've got it bookmarked.

Yellowjacket wrote:Our top seven wish list has been removed from the QMx Facebook page. Move along. Nothing to see.

wow. down the memory hole......
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby QMx GGD » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Allow me to clarify a couple points regarding the FB post.

1) The list is already posted here and I've been part of the conversation.

2) I replied to Yellowjacket both on the page itself and then by FB message in reply to the post. So please let's not turn this into QMx being the bad guy and not listening or engaging outright.

I recognize that you all have items you want made and that you're fans, but there are times some of your comments become demanding and mean spirited. The QMx page is not a message board or forum and it's public. So I do moderate it and will continue to do so.
QMx GGD

Postby Joatrash » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:07 pm

This is fast turning into a catch 22 situation. I'm gonna risk some flak here in QMx defense and say that there really isn't much they can do to appease those of us in the hard-core crowd. It would be economically stupid to do most of the stuff we want. Even if they made all-metal Boos and passed them out free to all of us here, someone would find something to complain about and bring up something bad from the past.

Another thing is that, quite frankly, QMx made kind of a mistake in even opening up a dialog with us here at all, because there are VERY few companies in the world that can have a dialog with hard-core fans and keep it from turning into a hatefest. I speak from a place of great experience in this (the video games industry). As soon as a company opens that door to the public, the hard-core crowd get so involved that they begin to feel entitlement and ownership. They demand insight and information that is unrealistic of ANY company to give. Then every little thing will be scrutinized and criticized to death. Now, there ARE a few companies that succeed in having a dialog with their fans but they are not many, and I can promise that they put a lot of careful planing into how they go about it and that it demands a LOT of resources.

(Note to Qmx: deleting fan posts without explanation is not a good way to go about it. Simply replying "Thanks for the input, we'll take your suggestions into consideration when deciding on upcoming projects but can't promise anything." and then leave it at that. )

It is sad that the situation is as it is, but that's the reality of it. I have seen it SO many times before in my line of work. We fans a are demanding bunch. I wish it were different. I REALLY do. Because there are a couple replicas that I'd really want to see happen. Do I agree with what they seem to want to do with the card game? Maybe not... but I've been on both sides of this kind of discussion for almost ten years and it just leads to bad feelings. (I can tell you that the video game crowd is a lot worse though. I've seen hard-core fans angrily DEMAND inclusion in the credits just for posting unsolicited suggestions in forums!)

Im 100% certain that they ARE interested in HEARING what we have to say and what we want, but they are under no obligation at all to make any of it, no matter how loud we scream. Their only obligation is to keep money coming in so that their employees can get paid and I'm willing to be that they know what products will garner the most income. Let's let them make whatever they think will sell and vote with our wallets if we like it or not.

If they make something unexpectedly cool, fine. If not.. let's keep making the hardcore stuff we really want ourselves. (Incidentally... a couple fan-made hard-core items have been up for grabs here and on the RPF recently, with unexpectedly little interest shown- what does that tell QMx about how viable hard-core Verse stuff is?) QMx have so far been fairly lenient with bringing down the hammer on fan-made stuff on the forums. Both sides have everything to gain by letting the "QMx doesn't care about the hard-core" discussion stop here so that we can continue ejoying the Verse and all it has to offer.

Keep flyin' y'all.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:18 pm

I thought the Tall Card discussion on the QMx Facebook page was polite and useful.
I would also say that the lack of other folks chiming in was reflective of the market for such an item.
Posting the "Want List" on Facebook seems like a useful tool to measure customer interest.

I would agree that it is right of QMx to moderate inappropriate comments,
but unless the list posting was offensive in-and-of-itself,
I can't understand deleting it.

Both sides have everything to gain by letting the
"QMx doesn't care about the hard-core" discussion stop here
so that we can continue enjoying the Verse and all it has to offer.

I'm on the QMx newsletter to see if they release anything I want;
otherwise, they mostly aren't on my radar and vise-versa.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I don't disagree with Joatrash, but for this point alone. Jayne.

Our poll clearly shows an Interest in Jayne. Casual and hard core fans are always asking where they can get Jayne things. A resin Jayne pistol would be a wide market piece. Every Browncoat event from CSTS screenings to firefly marathons will host some guy dressed up as Jayne, or wearing one of his shirts at the very least. Can you think of an iconic figure with a more desired variety of shirts than Jayne? We aren't unreasonable people. We point out the obvious. If QMx wants to make figurines, then how about a Jaynestown statue. Small. Monochromatic. Resin. You want to mass produce replicas, make an unpainted, no frills Boo. Can we make our own grenades? Yes, but we would like a large, licensed company to make them available on a production scale.

Does QMx make Jayne stuff? Yes. Are we asking them to make more? Yes. Would a Jaynestown statue fit right in with their previously marketed statuettes? Yes. It could even play the Jaynestown song. Would an unpainted, basic resin Boo find a market across all demographics? I think it would. People have a thing for Jayne.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby QMx GGD » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:58 pm

In reply to why the list was removed from the FB page.

C'mon, guys. I answered it. I hid the post. Here's why. How many places do we really need to have the conversation?

QMx GGD wrote:Allow me to clarify a couple points regarding the FB post.

1) The list is already posted here and I've been part of the conversation.

2) I replied to Yellowjacket both on the page itself and then by FB message in reply to the post. So please let's not turn this into QMx being the bad guy and not listening or engaging outright.

I recognize that you all have items you want made and that you're fans, but there are times some of your comments become demanding and mean spirited. The QMx page is not a message board or forum and it's public. So I do moderate it and will continue to do so.
QMx GGD

PreviousNext

Return to The QMx Corner