Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The Model 47B...the resin kit

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

The Model 47B...the resin kit

Postby Badger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Guys,
Here's a new place to discuss the upcoming 47B, the resin kit of the Firefly Mal pistol.

Let's start with an 'ideal world' scenario;
What would you like to see in the kit?
What materials and features,

if cost were no obstacle?

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Re: The Model 47B...the resin kit

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Honestly...a hunk of resin works for me. I like that your previous plans included casting multiple pieces in multiple (or two) colors - but I think I did a good job painting my Wilco, and if you can save a few bucks and make it easier on yourself by casting one solid piece - I'm about that.

All I want are wood grips and metal screws. Wood grips, metal hardware, and a hunk of black resin. To me, that's perfect. No need for a metal safety (is it going to click into place? No? Then why make Badger do the work?), no need for clicking trigger (the reality of trigger pull on something like this is "breaks in a few seconds of careless screwing around") - just give me wood grips, metal hardware, and a hunk of black resin.

Addendum: a hunk of black resin - preferably without warping or bubbles (which - have you seen the test shots in the 47a thread? QMx could learn a thing or two. Or eight.).

Heck - you could actually just have divots for the screws, and I could drill my own holes and source my own hardware. I'm for a the creation of a perfect storm of "DIY" (or "M" - Doing It myself), keeping the price down...and not giving Badger an ulcer.

I'm a simple man.
You know what your Hot Animal Machine's looking for right now? THE MONEY TO BUY A "PHILLIPE" MAL...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Also - make the Jayne pistol, too. :)
You know what your Hot Animal Machine's looking for right now? THE MONEY TO BUY A "PHILLIPE" MAL...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Also - please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby Badger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:49 pm

I was thinking of black resin initially.
But I'd really like to do the brass parts in a dark metallic gold resin and the gripframe in a dark silver/grey resin, both coloured by metallic pigment dispersions in a clear resin base. This way, even clients with only basic painting skills can get a really good result by applying the dark patination colours and rubbing back.

I'd like to do the trigger in stainless steel, for strength. Also blackened steel thumbscrews. I'd like to include an aluminium tube insert for barrel too. I'd like to just mark drilling points and include a complete metal dressing screw set.

Walnut grips, of course.

What do we think?

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby namebrand » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:05 pm

Badger, you sir are a man after my own heart. Resin parts cast in correct colours are what I wish I saw more often, so that wear on any painting done to the piece wouldn't immediately show it to be resin. I would have asked for exactly what you just described, in fact when I saw your first post I was going to ask about casting it in something that would be sort of brassy.

So are you thinking of making it a DIY kit to some degree? The builder in me loves that idea. Wood grips are a great inclusion too! Will you be doing a budget version in plain resins and no metal or wood too?
namebrand
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm

I want to only produce one version of the kit, life's very complex and even one kit is really hard to do reliably.

The kit would likely consist of:

Brass coloured resin parts, with drill centre dimples.
Steel coloured resin parts.
Steel knurled thumbscrews, blackened.
Steel trigger and return spring.
A complete set of steel dressing screws,
CNC machined walnut grips, unfinished.
Removable magazine, with mounting magnets.
Aluminium barrel insert tube.
Possibly a real brass safety lever.

About $150 or so....

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:52 am

If the removable magazine makes the project more difficult, I could certainly live without it. Ditto the safety lever.

But the drilling points and screw set - and the barrel insert...YES.

Same with the wood grips. I did a set in walnut for my Wilco - and they're not bad for the first time I've ever made a set...but I'd bet I could do a great job finishing a set of the machined grips.
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby namebrand » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 am

I love it Badger, sounds like one kick ass kit, and for a great price given the cost of other resin kits that are not nearly as compleat.

I wouldn't change those specs except to wonder if the safety lever should be the same brass coloured resin for ease of a uniform patina? Not that I would complain at all of course! This is shaping up to be a must have kit!
namebrand
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 am

We can do this.

I need to concentrate on getting the 47As done, then I'll be on this full time.

Keep the comments coming, though, I want to hear what you want.

Cheers,

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Next

Return to The Model 47A