Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The Model 47B...the resin kit

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

Re: The Model 47B...the resin kit

Postby volpin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:26 pm

When you say "brass colored" are you referring to cold-casting or just dye pigments? I think cold cast brass might be an excellent way to faux-finish these, and would only require a weathering layer and some polishing.

I don't think the trigger needs to "click" necessarily, but I do like a moving one. Something simple on a pivot with a return spring would be all that I would need in a resin model. I would worry about a clicking trigger wearing down the resin parts it was mounted to.

How about doing resin pulls of a .38 special bullet for the magazines? Might be interesting for the people buying the 47a as well.
volpin
Mudder

Postby R2Dan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:51 pm

why do resin casts if you can get "fake" .38 special bullets for next to nothing? I just did a quick search here and found 10 "decoration bullets" for €5 on a German website...
R2Dan
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:05 pm

Volpin,

When you say 'just dye pigments' ..... :evil:
I'm a professional model and prop maker. Please give me a little credit.

Cold cast metal is impractical, expensive, labour intensive and by its nature requires you to remove the top layer of your model to reveal the brassy bits. You can't pour it.
The finish tarnishes easily unless clear coated too.

Is this what you want?

If you want cold cast brass, you just doubled the price of the kit.

I can get a great colour which is good to go, right out of the mould, and doesn't require you to wear your model away with steel wool. It will only require a colour layer and weathering too.
All this with 'just dye pigments'

A sprung trigger will wear the model away as fast as a clicking one. I would use a steel trigger anyway, mounted on a rod through the resin body.

I can't legally make fake ammunition here, so that's out of the question, I'm afraid. Dan's right, you can get them easily enough.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Akin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Sounds great!

I'll likely have to find someone to finish it for me, though... my DIY skills don't extend to painting...

Although I am currently turning piles of parts into a semi-automatic 5.56 rifle... I'm a bit dismayed that you can't even make fake ammunition over there...
Akin
Independent Army - Special Ops

Postby volpin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Badger wrote:I'm a professional model and prop maker. Please give me a little credit.

Snipped out the rest of the comments, but this is the general gist. I am NOT a professional. Quite the contrary, I'm actually only just now getting into this hobby and getting a feel for the terms and techniques. I asked about the difference in finishing because I genuinely do not know which one is best.

Further, I don't know anything about you. I'm new here, and outside of the work on the 47a, I've not seen any of your work before. This is not to say your work is not notable; I'm fairly sure its yet another result of my being new to the hobby. I did not mean to insult your skill or reputation.

I don't know if I'm reading it wrong, and if I am I apologize, but your post really sounded pretty derisive Badger. I wasn't leveling any insults at you or your processes; I was just curious what processes you were implementing.

I'll reserve my opinions and questions from here on out.
volpin
Mudder

Postby Badger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Volpin,

Don't reserve your opinions, do ask your questions.

It isn't obvious that you're new. You seem to understand terms line 'cold-cast','dye pigments' etc.
'I think cold cast brass might be an excellent way to faux-finish these'
Sounds like a qualified opinion to me....

It came across as if you thought you had a solution that I hadn't thought of. You can trust me that I've thought of every commercial process available to make the kit the ideal blend of the following:

Accurate, easy to make, affordable, excellent, realistic, simple to finish.

It's not easy.

You'll get used to my direct manner. Don't worry about it.
Life is short and I'm very busy.

Cheers,

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby volpin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm

If you're clocking in at a "10" on the scale of prop and process knowledge, I'm sitting somewhere around a 5. I know a few terms and have limited experience in implementing them. I didn't know cold-casting would double the price of this kit, though it does make sense that steel wool would diminish the sharpness of the details. It really does sound like you've got all the subtleties hammered out.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly finding a way to add some weight to these so they have a somewhat more substantial feel. Resin guns sometimes feel unnaturally light.
volpin
Mudder

Postby Badger » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:57 pm

No problem,
I have a reputation for being grumpy. I'm not, I'm just direct.

I've given the prop and it's many replicas out there a great deal of thought, yes.

Lead shot and casting resin (or JB Weld) is the answer to adding weight.

You can drill out areas of the grip and chassis and drop lead shot or fishing weights in there.
The barrel can also be drilled out from the rear and a metal bar added, or more lead.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby browncoat769 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:54 am

i would like to see a cheaper version or the pistol made that could be carried or dropped without fear of having to pay $100+ for a new one
chain of command: "the chain you get beaten with until you understand whose in ruttin command here" - Jayne Cobb
browncoat769
Mudder

Postby Badger » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 am

What is it you want and for what price?

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

PreviousNext

Return to The Model 47A