Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Mal pistol display solutions

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

Re: Mal pistol display solutions

Postby Badger » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Yeah, that IS nice....

It's going to look great!

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Eric Ardros » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 pm

ReaverReject wrote:Great timing in your post, Eric! I was just going everywhere and entering "wooden box," "pistol case" etc. and found a really nice & affordable one - seller has plenty of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMUEL-COLT-Wooden- ... 4a9e995b7c

I just got one. The stain would match the 47A colors perfectly! :) Just need to replace the glass and re-do the felt, and voila!

Here are a few more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PISTOL-GUNS-LARGE-K ... 45f0f3990f

http://cgi.ebay.com/17-x7-HARLEY-WOOD-G ... 4a9ea92185

RR

Good timing indeed, lol. I'd been trying "display box", "gun display", "display case"... hadn't gotten any hits, though. Thanks for posting that link, dude ;)

Awesome find, btw. That looks to be a good match for the pistol; as you said, the stain should match the 47A colours perfectly.

I was going to suggest you replace the stenciled glass, but you obviously already thought of that. I take it you're going to replace the red felt with green, like Mike's doing with his?
"It may have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

VISIT MY SITE: My Prop Collection
Eric Ardros
Blue Hand guy

Postby ReaverReject » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Hey, my pleasure - glad to help! :)

I also found some very interesting items by searching for "antique wooden box" and "vintage wooden box". Gotta sift through over 2,500 listings, but if you're looking for a REALLY aged, distressed look to your case, this would be the ticket.

As for the felt color, I think I'd stay with the maroon or Burgundy velvet that the Colt case I got already comes with - it's the most "Western" and "Victorian" color I can think of. Here are some other examples - tell me what you guys think:

Image Image

I assume Mike was going for a color that compliments his "Independents" patch, but green has always struck me as appropriate for medical, optical, surveying, and other engineering and scientific instruments in general.

RR
ReaverReject
Blue Hand guy

Postby Eric Ardros » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm

I'd agree a maroon or burgundy velvet lining (like shown in the third example pic) would be a nice choice. Gives more of an authentic "western" look to the pistol case, imho.

Btw, I recall you'd mentioned something about wanting to obtain a set of authentic gun cleaning tools to go with your display. This is something I came across on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GUN-CLEANING-KIT-Shotgun-Pistol-Rifle-Tools-Wood-Case_W0QQitemZ230439379647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a741e2bf

It's a complete set, with cleaning tools for a variety of different gauge weapons. It's very reasonable priced, too.

You could get the whole kit, and then just pick and choose the tools to include in your display, based on what gauge weapon Mal's Pistol is supposed to be.

Just an idea, anyway.

Eric Ardros
Blue Hand guy

Postby ReaverReject » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I'm actually thinking of some random vintage brass tools that have nothing to do with gunsmithing or cleaning. If I find something cool I'll post it. I've seen one or two really inventive steam-punk ray gun display cases on the RPF where original brass tools were fabricated to compliment the weapon and inlayed next to it.

By the way - the case that I won has 2 pairs of rare earth magnets in place of a latch. The larger Harley box from the same seller has 3 pairs. I find that cool in the sense that the case has a vintage look, but uses a modern closure mechanism - very fitting for a future-retro weapon! :)

RR
ReaverReject
Blue Hand guy

Postby pennausamike » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:22 am

ReaverReject wrote:Hey Mike - thanks for the feedback and awesome info!

Sure. I've posted most of my info at http://www.serenitymovie.net

ReaverReject wrote:After I posted, I found your show-off threads and noticed you were using 30-cal M1 carbine ammo. I'm thinking I'll mask rings in different colors around the casing - think of a resistor - to designate the different kinds of ammo - much like you plan to. But that would also mean removing the bullet on some and modifying or replacing it.

I have several hundred rounds of fired carbine brass.
I'll run out of ideas long before I run out of brass!

ReaverReject wrote:I also hope to find a Dragoon or similar box that already has vintage tools in it - that would really compliment the set! :)
Cheers!
RR

The tools in my case are ones I made myself.
The two metric allen wrenches that fit the Sidkit, a flathead screwdriver and a brass cleaning rod.
The handles are black walnut with machined brass ferrules.
The case and tools are further along now, but I haven't taken pics yet.

Far as the choice of green; yeah, I like it because it compliments the Independents' patch.
But also, the original box lining was green.
(Not that it matters. I'm reupholstering the whole thing anyway.)
You can see the darker, original green over the hinge between the base and the lid.
All that is replaced now, and the upper tray is done, also.

When my Mal pistol case is finished, the lower part holds the pistol, two spare mags and 24 rounds of 4 different types of ammo.
The upper tray will hold the cleaning tools, my original Whitefall and JDDunst ship's papers & wallet, a little coin bag with (mostly) chinese coins, a boatload of various 'verse currency, Mal's service papers, Tracy's message recorder and Mal's dogtags.

The glass face Harley cases you linked to are what I bought for my
Jubal Early pistol, River and Simon wanted poster, River HOB pic, Early's mom and dog pic;
and
Yo-Saf-Bridge's Trash pistol, a tube of lipstick and the pic from Trash of her holding the pistol.
They are nice cases, but the seller has been raising the price each time he lists them.

My next pistol case project will be a case for my Wash Mateba.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Eric Ardros » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:48 am

ReaverReject wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I'm actually thinking of some random vintage brass tools that have nothing to do with gunsmithing or cleaning. If I find something cool I'll post it. I've seen one or two really inventive steam-punk ray gun display cases on the RPF where original brass tools were fabricated to compliment the weapon and inlayed next to it.

By the way - the case that I won has 2 pairs of rare earth magnets in place of a latch. The larger Harley box from the same seller has 3 pairs. I find that cool in the sense that the case has a vintage look, but uses a modern closure mechanism - very fitting for a future-retro weapon! :)

RR

BOLD # 1: No problem, dude. Just returning the favour :D

BOLD # 2: That is kewl, and as you said it's uncannily fitting for a future-retro weapon, lol.

pennausamike wrote:[...]

When my Mal pistol case is finished, the lower part holds the pistol, two spare mags and 24 rounds of 4 different types of ammo.
The upper tray will hold the cleaning tools, my original Whitefall and JDDunst ship's papers & wallet, a little coin bag with (mostly) chinese coins, a boatload of various 'verse currency, Mal's service papers, Tracy's message recorder and Mal's dogtags.

[...]

Mike

Wow... sounds like you'll have an awesome assemblage of props to show off in that display when finished. I'm envious :mrgreen:

Still being new to the Firefly prop community, I wasn't aware there had been fan-made replicas of Mal's service papers or dog tags. Those would certainly be neat items to have, imho.

Eric Ardros
Blue Hand guy

Postby ReaverReject » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:39 am

Cool stuff, Mike!

You're very handy indeed with a lathing & milling - I take it you have your own machine shop?

I may just ask you to part with a dozen or so bullets... PMed ya!

RR
ReaverReject
Blue Hand guy

Postby pennausamike » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Now I'm just waitin' on the weather so I can stain and polyurethane and paint....

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:20 pm

looks really great, mike!
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Previous

Return to The Model 47A