Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The Model 47 compared to the 47a!

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

The Model 47 compared to the 47a!

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 am

Hey all,

I recently got my copy of the 47a (in kit form) and just did a first weathering pass on it (they are supplied in "new" condition with a brown-black patina so that no metal shows through). Thought I'd pop in and give you all some note on how it compares to the original Model 47. Both pieces were made under completely different circumstances and with different methods. The 47 also cost more than double the 47a.

First off, here's a photo with the original on top:

- They are pretty much identical in size (the photo has some optic distortion)
    - The 47 has a stronger yellow tint to the brass parts. I'm assuming this is partly due to it being older and having some oxidation compared to the 47a which I just stripped of some patina.
    - The casting of the 47a is much better. Sharper lines and details. In fact, some parts of the A are so sharp, they need a little smoothing to not dig into your skin when you grip it!
    - The 47 has a moving safety where the A has one cast in place to keep costs down in favor of a removable magazine.
    - Both have moving triggers but only the 47a "clicks". (Karl solved the click in a really cool way.)
    - The 47 is made up of more separately cast brass pieces.
    - The 47 has more hardware and studs attached. In a couple places the 47a has studs/screws cast into the brass.
    - The 47a magazine slides into place more cleanly than the 47 (both are removable). The 47 has a cast-in dummy round and the A has space to put your own fake ammo in.
    - The 47 grips follow the frame flawlessly while the 47a grips are a tad thin in a couple places on my copy. This was due to me getting the 47A in parts rather than pre-assembled. I will probably go back and grind down the grip frame to fit perfectly.
    - The 47 has a nickel plated brass trigger guard and the A has cast alumin(i)um.
    - Completely different triggers.
    - The 47 has brass thumbscrews, the A has steel.
    - I haven't weighed them, but they feel fairly close. Perhaps the A is a smidgen lighter- it's definitely a little "front heavy" making the 47 sit a little better in the hand.
    - A couple subtle details are that the trigger guard on the A is a little more square. The circular detail above the hammer is almost perfectly round on the A but on the 47 they're just a little bit oval. (Phil's resin casts were notably skewed in this area...)

Let's have this stated once again- both replicas are beautiful works of art and a testament to Badger's caring for the 'Verse. I'm sure as gorram hell not planning on parting with either of them but if I was forced to choose I'd probably pick the original 47, but that is mainly due to how I felt when I acquired it and what was going on in my life at the time. There are a few more subtle differences but I've listed the main ones. The A will probably end up being my "coffee table play piece" once I'm done weathering it, even though the moving safety on the original is fun to flick. (I'm also planning a non-invasive brass conversion kit to turn the A into a Serenity version pistol.) Replicas can't get much better than this and I'm happy to have both in my collection.
Last edited by Joatrash on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Re: The Model 47 compared to the 47a!

Postby Goodwolf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:45 am

I am just patiently waiting to get my 47A. It will definitely be the crown jewel in the FF collection.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby R2Dan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 am

you lucky bastard! We krauts are all waiting rather impatiently - I know, cause we keep whining about the tracking being useless every day :mrgreen:
R2Dan
Independent Soldier

Postby F-N-S » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 am

At least I got my spare mag already ... :lol:

Thanks for the comparison Joatrash!
"We're gonna get that show back on the air!"
F-N-S
Pilot of this shiny forum

Postby keelhauler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Yeah, thanks for the side-by-side. Still waiting for mine here in the States.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Joatrash wrote:....
- The 47 grips follow the frame flawlessly while the 47a grips are a tad thin in a couple places on my copy. This was due to me getting the 47A in parts rather than pre-assembled. I will probably go back and grind down the grip frame to fit perfectly.

So, is it likely that everyone's grips will not quite fit right? or do you think if we got the gun pre-assembled that they will fit better?
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Laubi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm

F-N-S wrote:At least I got my spare mag already ... :lol:

Thanks for the comparison Joatrash!

thats good, because mine should be here too than ^^

and nice review/comparison!
have fun storming the castle....
Laubi
Blue Hand guy

Postby E-Wan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Man, I'm drooling over that 47A! Can't wait for mine to arrive!
E-Wan
Independent Soldier

Postby keelhauler » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 am

E-Wan wrote:Man, I'm drooling over that 47A! Can't wait for mine to arrive!

It is awful purty. :D

I think i prefer the slightly less yellowish tint of the 47A. Looking forward to seeing this thing in person.
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Stuntman Mike » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:14 am

Mine should be showing up tomorrow. I can't wait. Now I just have to figure out some sort of display solution. Anyone have the Mal pistol stand that was offered by QMX some time ago? Wondering if that could be copied and if it would work for the 47A.
Stuntman Mike
Alliance soldier

Next

Return to The Model 47A