Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Model 47A "as new" photos and Sidkit comparison

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

Model 47A "as new" photos and Sidkit comparison

Postby MaladjustedReynolds » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 pm

Hey all,

Received my Model 47A a few days ago. It's a North America build in "as new" condition with all of the coating still present. The first photo is the 47A above a very war-weathered and battered brass-plated Sidkit - Yeah, there's no comparison, but just for kicks, you know?

I'm also not certain, but I think my barrel may have been mounted slightly crooked from a bird's eye view, which bothers me. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks, but I'm thinking it has a lean to the right when looked at from above.

You can see more detailed photos of the 47A in the links below:

http://www.frenchbrosreviews.com/FIREFLY/
MaladjustedReynolds
Alliance soldier

Re: Model 47A "as new" photos and Sidkit comparison

Postby keelhauler » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 pm

In that pic I cant really see it having a tilt. in the pic with the yellow lines, i think maybe the gun itself is a little titled and that's what makes the barrel appear to be off. could be wrong, though.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Seems to me an easy way to tell would be to use PS to draw a straight line from the middle of the front sight down the barrel to the middle of the body of the prop.

I'm excited now that I know the North American ones are on their way. :D Got some money stashed away for shipping an all.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Here's what i get after straightening out your original gun photo. barrel is pretty straight to me. your original is on the left, my alteration on the right. what do you think? of course, how it looks in person to your eyes is whats important

keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 pm

Oh, meant to ask... how do your grips fit? they look good in the pics.
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby MaladjustedReynolds » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 pm

You're absolutely right! Thanks so much keelhauler. The many panel lines play tricks on my eyes. Had the same problem when building the Sidkit last year. I didn't have the software to rotate the photo properly and line up the lines that way.

By the way, for anyone who has a Sidkit (or a resin), get ready for a very heavy replacement. The Model 47A has some serious heft, which is awesome.

The grips fit very very well. Very tight into the body panels - some slight variations in snugness along the frame, but nothing to gripe about.
MaladjustedReynolds
Alliance soldier

Postby Stuntman Mike » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 am

Got mine yesterday. Looks pretty much the same as Maladjustedreynolds' does. I will post pics of mine when I get a chance.

I have to say that the quality of the casting is really excellent. very sharp and clean. There does, however, seem to be quite a bit of surface pitting on mine. This seems to unavoidable with the casting process though. Not a complaint, just an observation.

The fit and finish of the grips is great. Matches well with the lines of the grip frame and the wood is finished beautifully.

The magnetic magazine system works great. Holds the mag in very securely.

Overall I am very impressed with the quality of the replica. Outstanding. 1000 thanks to Badger and all involved.

I can say without exception that this has been the best fan made replica purchase experience I have yet had. The thoughtfulness and integrity of all involved has been exemplary. Something to be very proud of.

Now I just have to figure out a display solution. Lets get going on those acrylic stands we were discussing ;)
Stuntman Mike
Alliance soldier

Postby Goodwolf » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 am

Stuntman Mike wrote: Lets get going on those acrylic stands we were discussing ;)

Well... assuming Pat can do them, how many are we looking at here and what would you like to see? I'm not familiar with the QMx stand, but I'm guessing that's the general idea?

Gimme some pics and a rough idea on how many are wanted and I'll forward them to Pat and see if he can do them and what a rough price would be.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Stuntman Mike » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 am

Goodwolf wrote:
Stuntman Mike wrote: Lets get going on those acrylic stands we were discussing ;)

Well... assuming Pat can do them, how many are we looking at here and what would you like to see? I'm not familiar with the QMx stand, but I'm guessing that's the general idea?

Gimme some pics and a rough idea on how many are wanted and I'll forward them to Pat and see if he can do them and what a rough price would be.

Check the below link. This should give you a rough idea:

http://bashinginminds.com/2008/02/08/go ... -from-qmx/
Stuntman Mike
Alliance soldier

Postby Justanuthercap » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Got mine as well! What an incredible piece this is! No sense putting up pics as mine looks exactly like what MaladjustedReynolds posted. Will definately post some pics after weathering this weekend!
Jayne: (mock reading Simon's journal) "Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy." (flips page) "Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
Justanuthercap
terrifying space monkey

Next

Return to The Model 47A