Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Model 47 help

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

Model 47 help

Postby Jameth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello all,
Late to the party. A friend who will die shortly has gotten me hooked on Firefly.

I have been researching like crazy but need some help on Mal's gun.

There is a lot of info but hard to get some basic info.

Can someone please help me out by explaining the difference between the 47, 47A, 47B, etc. I looked at these posts and am still confused.

Also what is the difference in the movie gun, model #, etc.

Thanks so much.
Jameth
Independent Soldier

Re: Model 47 help

Postby drewsmith007 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:57 pm

http://www.thereplicapropforum.com/f9/m ... ost1342440

with the addition of the latest metal plated movie pistol offering from QMx.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 pm

The model 47 was a project that was completed here on the boards years ago - all metal construction and featured a pull-able trigger and working safety. Want to take out a second mortgage on your house - and one was yours. There was a similar one by the now defunct Sidkit - made out of pot metal similar to the way that the Denix replicas are created - and this was produced right around the same time. Both are impossible to find nowadays unless you get REALLY lucky.

The model 47a was another metal Mal offering that was produced here on the boards by Badger and namebrand (a member here taking care of the North American assembly) a few years after the model 47. This offering incorporated the same movable trigger, though this one clicked, and eliminated the movable safety in lieu of a removable magazine. Like the Sidkit and the 47 - the 47a is now pretty much impossible to find unless you acquire one from a party willing to sell theirs.

The 47b that you are referencing was a proposed project that was going to be offered on the board. It would have been, if I can remember correctly, a resin offering of the 47a pistol. Basically something more affordable than the $900+ of the metal 47a. That particular project never came to fruition.

The metal plated Mal Serenity replica recently offered by QMx doesn't really belong with these three pistols. For one, the metal plating on the replica is so thin that it is nearly negligible. Secondly, the replica is name of polystone resin, no metal. While it is a beautiful piece, it is nothing like the previous pistols. This is a redesign and re-release/companion piece to a pistol that they offered a few years ago and sold out of quite quickly. While that claimed to be metal plated as well - it was also made of resin and fetched a higher price than the current offering.

There are a few other pistols out there. A very nicely done resin cast, whose creator escapes me, but the cast is magnificent. There is another cast, made by Wilco models - which has become difficult to find these days - which, though slightly inaccurate, has been a mainstay, cheap, and readily available holster piece for fans.

The final one that I know of is made by coolmodels - much hated as a recaster - which is deserving of the distaste piled on it. It is badly misproportioned and several key details are WAY off. I would avoid it at all costs. This one, ironically, is the only one that is currently readily available besides the QMx offering.

I will look for pictures of these and edit my post to include them - but those are the Mal offerings that I know about. As far as any information on the weapon - any number of fan sights - even Wikipedia - might be able to give you some "real world information" on the gun - but the model numbers that you are referencing were made here through conjuncture. There is never, to my knowledge, a reference made to the model number in the show or the movie.

The metal crowd.

The Model 47......ah things that I will never have - lol

The model 47a - notice that the similarities are striking. The assembly is almost the same, but the movable safety was left out of this offering in a bid to keep costs lower. The result, an almost 1000 dollar price tag rather than the several thousand dollar price tag that the 47 commanded.

A Sidkit Mal in a degree of partial assembly.

The Resin crowd.

The Phil resin casting - the best of the resin crowd.

The original QMx pistol.

QMx part Deux - now less expensive and with a stand....but lacking that paper prop they included with the original pistol offering.

The Wilco models offering - probably the best resin casting for the money as far as holster/con pieces go unless you can get your hands on one of Phil's castings.

The coolmodels offering - shitty-ness abounds........

As far as the actual screen used weapon was created - you might be better off asking Badger about that. he knows more about it than anyone else I know and perhaps he will chime in on the real one. All that I can tell you is that it was built up around a Taurus revolver by the armorer.

Hope that served to answer your questions!
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Charlie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:55 pm

My compiled list from over the years:

Metal versions:
Model 47
Model 47a
Sidkit Firefly version
Sidkit Serenity version
Re-issued Sidkit (2015) Firefly and Serenity versions

Resin/Other:
Philippes (and the recasts of said version)
QMx Stunt (Original Serenity version)
QMx Stunt (Later version with different paint job)
QMx "Metal-plated" polystone replica
QMx 1:3 Scale Mal Pistol Replica Keepsake (if we're being thorough)
Sidkit resin version
Recast Sidkit
Alchemy Arms (possible recast of Philippes casting)
3D Printed RPF version
Sloopyjon (who claimed the Captain himself sent him secret photos of the real pistol :roll: )
Jukity
Wilco
Paintbynumbers
Arsenal/Coolmodels
Last edited by Charlie on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
War's long done. We're all just folk now.
Charlie
Alliance soldier

Postby Badger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 pm

For the record,
I designed, produced and built the Model 47 and the 47A.
Model 47As destined for the US/Canada were assembled by Namebrand.

Both models were produced at cost for fans, there was no profit made on a single one of them.

The 47 was priced at USD$1,600.00
The 47A at USD$770.00

The 47 came with a wooden presentation case, plaque, certificate and leather holster/belt rig.
the 47A came with a certificate and was glazed in blood, sweat and tears :)

I coined the names, 47 and myself, because of an interview I did with Randy Eriksen, the Firefly Propmaster, for the first Firefly Official Companion book. He is fascinated with the number 47. According to him it's the most often randomly occurring number in the Universe.

The Model 47 was originally called the 'Eriksen-Meyer Model 47' after Randy, and Firefly Production Designer Carey Meyer.

I'm very proud of these.
They are testament to what can be produced in your home workshop when you're not smart enough to quit and haven't learned enough not to do it all again :)

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Jameth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Wow!!!

Thanks so much guys for all your help. These are amazing pieces.

I'm familiar with Sid's guy as I've been on the Blade Runner board a while. Too bad how that all happened.

Okay, Badger-When are you doing another run????

Those look amazing. Thanks so much for posting and explaining.

Well it looks like for metal I am out of luck until someone makes a new one.

I know Rich was trying to do a metal Mal but it did not happen.

The search begins and continues.

I also want a huge (Not 19") Serenity model. Figure 3' minimum.

So if someone could start on a new metal Mal gun and large Serenity model I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again

and so it begins....... Ship papers are on the way.
Jameth
Independent Soldier

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 am

Glad to help Jameth - and thanks Badger for chiming in on the history of the 47 and 47a!
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am

Jameth,

I won't be making any more Metal Mal pistols, or resin Mal pistols, unless QMx come to their sense sand decide to use my research, skills and existing tooling to produce an 'Official' version.
Anyone who tries to produce a Mal pistol will be shit upon from a great height by legal types.

The metal Mal pistol is, as Robstyle says, a 'cursed project'.

It's such a shame QMx never got it together to produce one. Lots of talk, no action.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Dorian Gray » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:55 pm

The metal mal has been a unicorn for ALOT of fans lol
Dorian Gray
Blue Hand guy

Postby Joatrash » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 am

I've had just about every Mal pistol that has been made and I consider myself lucky that I was at the right place and time to get both a 47 and a 47a. When I got the 47, I had never spent anything near as much for a prop (and have done so only a couple times since- only with Firefly-related props). I knew very little about the 47 at the time besides the few images that were posted on the RPF- the Firefly prop community has always been a little mysterious and not very publicly open until this site came along. When a FS thread popped up at the RPF posted by one of the original owners of the very small run, I had just come into some "prop spending cash" and was very quick to reply. After "Alice" (my metal replica of Vera), the 47 is the last prop (and one of the last possessions) I have that I'd ever consider selling. (Honestly, if I were destitute and homeless that 47 would probably be be tucked into my belt!) The 47a is a more refined piece for sure (mine is currently serving "Serenity version duty" after a couple non-invasive mods by me), with Badger having taken it up a notch with learnings from the original 47 project and I wouldn't sell that either. But there's just something about that original 47... it's not that there are only 16, I care little for that sort of exclusivity, and your hands smell of cast bronze after playing with it for a while. The thing just emanates passion and love for the subject and project in some special way. I can sort of imagine Badger hammering away by gaslight in his shed trying to get them done...

Haha... here's me getting all sentimental about a prop replica. :)

The Sidkits are great replicas too, and they're actually not made out of pot metal, but PEWTER (probably mainly tin with some lead). Pot metal is brittle and breaks, pewter is softer, bendy and can be fixed/soldered if needed. (The Jubal Early pistol run I did a few years ago was also pewter.) There are at least a couple hundred Sidkits out there... that is anyone's best bet in getting an all-metal Mal. A bronze-plated Sidkit with wood grips is a fabulous piece in itself. Correctly assembled it is VERY sturdy and there is no huge difference in feel when you're holding it compared to a 47. If I hadn't lucked upon my 47s I would still have my Sidkits and be very happy with them.

Oh, and the original QMx Serenity pistol was never claimed to be plated when it actually went on sale. They first announced a plated pistol (waaaay back) and there were prototypes made, but for whatever reason the project was rebooted into a metal powder-resin cast mix instead.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Next

Return to The Model 47A