Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Model 47 help

Back by popular demand: The 47A Forum

Re: Model 47 help

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 am

I hope that no one is considering trying to make a firing replica on their own.

This is something to be done custom by a certified gunsmith familiar with custom jobs. Badger is right about the pressure - I saw a blank pistol explode in someones hand when the clown tried to fire live rounds - not exactly what you guys are talking about - but similar enough. Thankfully this particular person didn't lose a hand - but he could have. Its no joke.

None of the metal Mal pistols offered in the past, or currently (assuming you can track down a Sidkit) are capable of shouldering the pressure generated by a live load - .22 or otherwise.

Be careful guys - even if it is just an idea right now - crazy things have been born from ideas - like me and my friends now attempting to build a full scale Warthog from Halo..............
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Jameth » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:01 am

I kind of assumed this is going to be done with help and work by a knowledgeable gunsmith.

Otherwise, as you say. Disaster.

I have only seen a few real firing prop replicas. They are very expensive for that reason.
Jameth
Independent Soldier

Postby drewsmith007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:12 am

I won't be modifying the gun in any way, except maybe having a gunsmith install a longer barrel. The pressure from the cylinder gap isn't enough to cause problems, especially encased with a brass shell. I appreciate the concern though.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby RobStyle » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:23 am

Ill say this as kindly as possible, only a real idiot would attempt a functional Mal pistol.

The original's were clanky and parts would sometimes fall off. Ive been told during one episode a clip just popped off and fell into the water never to be seen again. They also never fired anything more than a 1/4 blank load. Even at that there was an issue with gas build up. This is one of the reasons the pistols were modified for film use. That new side plate attached to the upper slide is covering a milled out area to relieve that gas pressure.

Movie guns are made for movies and they shoot movie rounds which are made to look how you expect them in a movie. Thats more flash and smoke than reality. There is no projectile. Id guess it safe to say that the Mal guns would explode if live rounds were to go through them.

I wont get into the complexity of the build as its obvious how difficult it is to fabricate the metal replicas from scratch. Now your factoring in a working firearm with exposed moving parts. However one suggestion I highly recommend is looking into prosthetic limbs if your dead set on a live fire Mal gun. This way you already know what your getting into and what insurance you will need.
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby drewsmith007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:02 pm

That's the first objection I've seen with any substance to it. From the pictures I've seen, the barrel has at least a .020 cylinder gap, which is about 5 times bigger than it's supposed to be. So, naturally, much more gas would escape.

How many grams of powder are in a 1/4 blank load?
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby drewsmith007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:25 pm

I found a video that has me rethinking this.

Starting about 2:15 in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eUlpPY9 ... YY96_ZI%3D

I'll probably still build it, but may not shoot it.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:36 pm

See how much gas is vented from the sides and rear of the cylinder?

What if the side plates shattered instead of just being blown clear? What if a plate was blown clear but blown into your eye, or teeth?

I don't think the risk is worth it. The results can be very unpredictable...

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby drewsmith007 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:08 pm

You're right about the risk not being worth it, but I never would have fired it in hand without testing it first. The risk of building a replica firing pistol, walking outside and firing it in the air is crazy. Building it, and thoroughly testing it safely, is not the same thing.

I have a 22lr rifle with a very thin (around .050) steel barrel encased in abs plastic. The receiver is cast zinc, and although it isn't subjected to much gas pressure, it is also very thin. This style rifle was issued as a survival rifle for pilots, so I'm sure it was tested to no end.

I'm not saying it isn't dangerous, because it is. But, done in the correct manner is much less so.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby Jameth » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:20 pm

Sounds like a good idea to scrap it.

Like I said, keep it as a prop you can play with.

Would have been cool but probably best to keep all your pieces attached to you.
Jameth
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:49 pm

ABS, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, is one of the toughest plastics around and is weight for weight stronger than steel. Zinc, when cast and is of sufficient mass, is also very, very strong. Don't be fooled into thinking that there' s no real pressure generated because of the materials they used to build your rifle.

Of course I don't think you'd be dumb enough to just build it and fire it in the hand.

Bear in mind though, that materials are weakened with time and the stresses they're subjected to. Although your pistol may test OK, it doesn't mean it won't suffer a catastrophic failure at some point.

Safety aside, how would you feel if you spent all that money and time and your Mal pistol blew up on the first test?

Don't kill yourself with an exploding Mal pistol. We need the members.
If you do, will you buy a set of my wood grips first? :)

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

PreviousNext

Return to The Model 47A