Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Badger's short film

For everything else

Re: Badger's short film

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:52 am

It's a great story. I love your direction on all fronts.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Thank you very much.
I appreciate the appreciation.

I don't think it came out too bad considering I only had the cast for a day.
I had spent a day with them in a rehearsal room a week before, though.
This was invaluable. Workshopping the dialog and blocking everything
We shot Wisdom in just eleven and a half hours.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby taimdala » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:48 pm

ELEVEN AND A HALF HOURS.

Daaaammmmmmmmn.

That's impressive, considering you had the actress doing the little vignettes about her life: the job, the relationships, the pets, etc. All those had to be lit and blocked, the cameras had to be set up and broken down and moved to each vignette's location, wardrobe and props have to be acquired, used, and tracked in transit ... Yikes. All those alone could have taken all day. Shooting in daylight helps. Robert Rodriguez shoots the majority of his film in daylight because it's fast and saves him time and money. I suppose the office scene (job) and the bathrobe scene (pet) could have been at the same building during the daylight hours... but still.

AND THEN, you had the inquistion scene. To be sure, it was a single room and lit so that only the center of it was clearly visible (so you didn't have to worry too much about the rest of the room). However, I lost count of the camera angles used. Even if you account for steady cam/hand helds and shooting with two cameras from two different angles at the same time, that's still a crap-ton of editing and splicing afterward. Digital format makes it fairly easy in terms of physical effort (no more developing real film and painstakingly cutting out the unwanted frames and taping the wanted frames together...) and saves time due to ease of use, but the mental expenditure is still the same. It can be exhausting.

How much time did you spend in post with this one?
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Did I forget to mention the props? *facepalm!*

I already figured that any and all leather work was custom made by you, Badger. And just so you know, I love that cuff bracelet. Not so much the bear claws/monster teeth on it ... but the leather and the strappy bits? Yeah. WANT!

Now some of the torture instruments--those that I recognized are ones I can get at a good hardware store. The dagger, though .... It has some similarities to some Eastern and Indian weapons I've seen in books, to say nothing of fence/roof finials, but I think that must have been a custom prop. If it is a real world artifact, I have no solid idea what it might be but it looks like a wicked knife regardless.

The Jar of Teeth. That's another one that my eye skipped over on first viewing: it was so good my mind just accepted it as real. I didn't zero in on it and think to myself "Hey, that's not how a molar's roots really look" or "Wait, dead gum tissue turns black as it rots" or ... any number of things that zip through my head when I watch a movie. It was on second viewing that I started to wonder if they were real teeth and if they were, how the hell did you get your hands on them?! Dentist friend, perhaps?

[Edited to add: And when you were done with filming, I'm imagining you having that jar of teeth in the kitchen. As a bit of whimsy or as a warning about the sugar--either way, I can just see it sitting there with the usual suspects, just sitting out there in plain view. The double takes must be hilarious! LOL!]
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:27 pm

We were a little clever with this one.

There were 29 camera set-ups in all, on three cameras.

All the vignettes/flashbacks were shot in one hour in small locations around the grand house we had the 'interview' room in. None of the 'locations' was more than 60 feet from any other. Raquel had several costumes one over another. We'd shoot a scene, then peel off the top costume.

The apartment block is the entryway to the offices (which were dressed as a police squad room for another production) which we used for Emily 'at work'. The Mall coffee shop was a part of the foyer mezzanine of the office building next door. The sunny winter day was a couple of shots in the car park. There was only one hour of sunshine the entire day, so we made the most of it :)

I shot these while the guys were lighting and dressing the main room.

The jar contains 600 teeth. All cast in resin and dental acrylic, by hand, by me.
Bloody things!

I leave it on the table when we have guests for dinner. On Denton's desk, which is my dining room table from home. It was too low to get Lee's knees under when seated in the chair, so I had some leg extensions made.

The dagger is a cast iron Indonesian thing I blagged from Robstyle. I moulded the tip and cast and painted a resin version for Denton's vest.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby taimdala » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:48 pm

Wow, that's pretty efficient and clever, too. I love learning how people film things. Thanks for filling me in. :D

"Blagged" = borrowed, copied, swiped?

That's a term I've never seen before. I think it's pretty cool. I've seen (and used) "gakked" to mean pretty much the same thing.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Blagged:
Stolen, begged, nicked, pilfered.

Cockney term, used for anything from bumming a smoke to robbing a bank :)

B
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby keelhauler » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:03 pm

that was great!
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks!

B
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby taimdala » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Blagged.

I have a new word for my vocabulary!!! Thanks Badger. :D
taimdala
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic