Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Badger's short film

For everything else

Re: Badger's short film

Postby Joatrash » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Nice!

I like twist endings that are not shockers. Feels all ironicle and such. Good color timing and editing too.

Badger wrote:I had spent a day with them in a rehearsal room a week before, though.
This was invaluable.

This is SO true. I did a film in the mid-90's that was overly ambitious and I unfortunately had to rely on local theatrical talent that had no on-camera experience, with no time for rehearsal. It didn't go well, lol.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Thank you.

I was careful with the cut and the grade. I think you can lose a lot of the atmosphere with a clunky cut.

As for talent?
Yes, it's all about the performance.

:)

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby TurnipyOdour » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:14 pm

The tone of the dialogue is great!

I can just imagine some of the lines coming right out of your mouth, Badger :)
TurnipyOdour
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:11 am

Thank you, TO :)

When I first started writing screenplays, the thing I struggled hardest with was dialogue. I couldn't make it sound realistic (not real, that's a different subject). Just wouldn't ring true.

I was on the London Underground one day, listening to people talking. I realized that people never talk ABOUT what they talk about, they talk AROUND it. There's a degree of shorthand there. Generally speaking, there's an existing relationship between the people. Both know what each other's opinion is likely to be on the subject, both know each other's body language. Most conversations are status, heirarchy and relationship bonding exercises. Very little information changes hands.

This would never work in a film :)

The point of the film is to get the story across, so things have to be explained. The clever bit is to do it without the audience feeling 'explained to'.

The interview scenario is great for this. Emily can ask Denton any bonehead question she likes and it never feels like exposition :)

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby taimdala » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:06 pm

@.@!

That is a FANTASTIC observation and bit of advice, Badger. Thank you for this. I *must* keep it in mind when I write.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Another good thing to do, is to 'collect' good lines.

I have an open folder on my computer desktop. When I hear or think of a good line, it gets dropped there.

I was walking home the other day and there were two middle aged housewives standing on the corner talking. As I walked past I caught this conversation fragment:

Woman 1 throws up her hands, exasperated.

Woman 1: Vampires!

Woman 2 nods in a long suffering manner, blowing out a weary breath.

Woman 2: Oh, I know.....

:)

B
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby taimdala » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:18 pm

LOL!

Eavesdropping definitely has its rewards. Imagine the story/short film you could make out of that. ;)

I have a similar file for misspellings found on the internet and in print. In addition to the constant misuse of "it's" for "its" (and similar pluralization errors), I found "four limbs" used for "forelimbs" just a few minutes ago right here. Of course, I doubt I could make a story out of the misspelling. Well, at least, one that wasn't predictable.

In case anyone's wondering why the hell I'd be looking up the toxin, I was fact-checking a plot detail in the upcoming ABC show Forever, the pilot of which is now available for viewing on Hulu. Personally speaking, I think the writers took gross liberties with regards to the speed in which the toxin acts upon its victims. I have to wonder why the writers chose it, unless it's just because you can grow it in your backyard, being a toxin extracted from a pretty flowering plant called Monkshood. Sweet Pea, Foxglove, and Oleander are similarly toxic and grown as ornamentals, too, and have similar symptoms.

Just ... not as fast as the writers claim.

Grah.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 pm

The writers will service the plot. Always.
At the cost of reason and logic if necessary.

Anything to make the story work.

B
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Fanfromthefirst » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Brilliant work,mate.
I loved how it was lit !
"Wanna meet the 'real' me now ?"
Fanfromthefirst
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Thanks very much.

I felt it was important not to over-reach on a one day shoot. I wanted to do something simple but well.
I thought that island of light around Denton's desk would concentrate the audience's attention on the two characters, while not showing too much of the room.

B
Badger
The one and only Badger

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic