Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

PHLIPPING PHOTOBUCKET THE MIDDLE PHINGER

For everything else

PHLIPPING PHOTOBUCKET THE MIDDLE PHINGER

Postby taimdala » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 pm

For everyone who enjoyed viewing my work and are disappointed that they can no longer do so, I apologize. The online photo hosting site known as Photobucket no longer supports 3rd party hosting without charging a hefty fee.

I'm not made of money. I cannot pay it.

And neither can I download my pictures from the site, apparently.

Even though the language in their FAQ and Troubleshooting pages assured me I still had access to my photos and could download them, my downloaded pictures opened up blank with the error message stating that the file was broken or corrupted.

Now, I wasn't so naive as to upload sole originals to the website. I still have the originals off line. HOWEVER, if you state something publicly, if you have it in writing in such a way that one can logically infer and reasonably expect a certain outcome, AND THEN deny that outcome ... well, you've violated a basic principle of the social contract and quite possibly a point or two of actual law.

I don't know if Photobucket will face lawsuits due to its decision, but in the light of recent cyberattacks worldwide, "ransomware" is at the forefront of the public mindset and the public would understandably attribute the practice to Photobucket.

Once that happens, litigation will ensue.

I'm not waiting for that particular penny to drop. I'm killing my account now. It was a free account. It cost me nothing to open. It should cost me nothing to delete.

But it rankles, dammit!

It rankles.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Re: PHLIPPING PHOTOBUCKET THE MIDDLE PHINGER

Postby pennausamike » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

As of now, my photos are still up, so I'm not doing anything until they go down.
But as I've noted elsewhere,I don't have the time and energy to rehost the hundreds of pics I've shared online.
So, good job Phuckbucket, for pricing your service out of reach for the return.
(Because $52 is about the most I would pay for a service I enjoyed free for over a decade.)

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Yup!

I hope Photof*ckit is the only online site that pulls this kind of stunt. I have other photos elsewhere online whose links I want to keep active.

We shall see.

Could be there might come a day when all websites will have to choose on which side of the divide they will stand: offer on-site image hosting or have users trust to the whims of 3rd party sites like Photof*ckit.

At the moment, those are the only affordable methods available to me and they are slim pickings, indeed.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm

If I could just get the gallery thingy to work for me HERE, I'd upload all my photos HERE.

Not sure I'm able to do that.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:28 pm

I wonder if Flickr will start this Photof*ckit (nice name) ransom since Verizon bought out Yahoo and now called Oath Inc. Anyway you look at it, with my dial-up, any photo hosting/cloud service is problematic to to me. I will keep my photos on Photof*ckit until they force me to upgrade or lose my account.

Where is Gore, the inventor of the Internet, when we need him. :mrgreen:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:59 pm

AZSneed wrote:I wonder if Flickr will start this Photof*ckit (nice name) ransom since Verizon bought out Yahoo and now called Oath Inc. Anyway you look at it, with my dial-up, any photo hosting/cloud service is problematic to to me. I will keep my photos on Photof*ckit until they force me to upgrade or lose my account.

Who knows if anyone else will be STUPID enough to adopt this model. It all depends on what people do to Photof*ckit over this disaster. If enough people vote with their wallets and DELETE their accounts (as I have), taking all their viewers/followers with them, that is taking EYEBALLS away from the ADS that advertisers are paying Photof*ckit to play on their site. It takes away an account page that would otherwise be a platform for ads from Photof*ckit and its advertisers.

Loss of Advertisers = Loss of revenue for Photof*ckit.

And that, I believe, is a language Photof*ckit ignores at its peril. Then again, this latest move of theirs has convinced me they aren't all that smart, anyway. Their current site is so ad-infested, the entire page slows down and goes unresponsive and shoves everything 100 pixels to the right to make way for yet another ad--which screws up what you're clicking on. Like the sign in tab. Messing up the page with ads so your members can't even *sign in?*

Insanity.

AZSneed wrote:
Where is Gore, the inventor of the Internet, when we need him. :mrgreen:

***Warning: Geopolitical Rant Ahead. Just skip it if you don't' wanna read it***

If Gore is smart, he's making himself disappear. Just you watch: the current administration will start rounding up people to be shot. As a major promoter of the "fake" climate change theory, Gore will be at the top of the list.

It's not like this sort of thing has never happened before. Just look at any revolution during the 20th century and you'll see it happening again and again: anyone who is unpopular with those in power is the first to go down in a hail of bullets. Given the current administration's record for nepotism in appointed (read: NO VOTER OVERSIGHT) positions and the favoring of civilian business partners (read: NON-ELECTED) over people we have elected to guard our common interests foreign and domestic, all one needs to do is look to the old Soviet model to get an idea of what's coming. Our current administration doesn't look that much different to what's in the Holy Rodina now. The language might be different but the type of people in power and the methods they use to remain in power ... they look rather the same.

Except maybe our current administration is still junior league compared to the administration it's copying.

To bring this post marginally back on topic, one could say the same thing could have happened, has happened, and might happen again in the Verse we all love and expand.

That's the thing about history: it tends to repeat itself, despite our best intentions. Luck for us, history is also filled with examples of people who fought against this sort of thing and won us something better. If history is replete with battles we've fought over and over again, it's because the future is worth fighting for over and over again.

***End Rant***
Last edited by taimdala on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:42 am

taimdala wrote: vote with their wallets and DELETE their accounts (as I have), taking all their viewers/followers with them, that is taking EYEBALLS away from the ADS

Actually, that is why PhB is doing what they are doing.
They don't get any views on their ads from 3rd party hosting.
No views, no revenue.

Far as this,

taimdala wrote:***Warning: Geopolitical Rant Ahead. Just skip it if you don't' wanna read it***
***End Rant***

This is why politics are best left off fan pages.
You make a number of points, some interesting, and some totally "puh-lease!"
Many, myself included, would argue the exact opposite is happening,
and that the other candidate was far more politically entrenched and likely to be responsible for opposition deaths.
But that is a bigger can of worms than can be herded here.

Point being, PhB affects how we interact in our fannish interests, but who is in the White House,
pretty much doesn't.
Just a suggestion.........

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 am

I was riffin' off the mention of Al Gore. But yeah--that rant of mine would make for some entertaining fiction in certain circles.

I'm just getting really jaded about currrent events. ... Sighhhhh ... I need more escapism.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 am

Escapism more along the lines of THIS:

The Verse in Numbers group page on Facebook!

BTW, YJ and ElectricLion are taking calls for more asteroid/satellite/space station names and what have you.

Let the Land Grab begin!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:18 am

Facebook, why is it always Facebook. I WILL DIE BEFORE JOINING FACEBOOK....and tweet tweet, too.

The only good politician an unemployed one.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Next

Return to Off-Topic