Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Inara's Syringe, Vial, and Box

Episode 1 - Serenity

Inara's Syringe, Vial, and Box

Postby talynthia5280 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Anyone got the dimensions of the box and the volume of the syringe? I know it's glass and the markings are 20/40/60/80/100 but the thinness suggests that it's not a milliliter but a microliter syringe. Anyone know where other companion training houses might be? Maybe on Londinium or Ariel? The major core planets maybe? Not all companions can train at Madrassa House or on Sihnon.
talynthia5280
Alliance soldier

Re: Inara's Syringe, Vial, and Box

Postby taimdala » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 am

Ooohhhhh, if it weren't so late, I could tell you all my speculations and EU ideas for Companions, their culture, their Training and obligations....

But it's late and I need to get to bed earlier than usual. I have a road trip tomorrow and my online time will be limited...until I check in to the hotel. Here's hoping they don't charge for internet.

Talynthia--PM me if you're interested in a follow up post from me. ;)

Oh,and I don't know anything really about the box or the syringe. WEll, except that the box looked like the sort you'd get those yin/yang chiming balls in. It would be easy to take out the cardboard filler out of the bottom, re-pad it to make it cushy, then put the satin/silk covering back on top for the syringe to rest on.

As for the syringe--how about the kind that dentists use? Or veterinarians. They come in pig-sticker size.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 am

talynthia5280 wrote:Anyone got the dimensions of the box and the volume of the syringe?

I was never able to find the Inara box for the syringe,
but I ended up using the same style box that appeared in the BDM,
the red yak skin dragon/ phoenix box.
For the syringe I used is an insulin syringe from years ago.
Mine is glass with metal hardware, rather than a modern plastic syringe.

talynthia5280 wrote:Anyone know where other companion training houses might be?
Maybe on Londinium or Ariel? The major core planets maybe?
Not all companions can train at Madrassa House or on Sihnon.

I'm not sure what planet the training house in the BDM Serenity was on.
But Inara references that it is something of a backwater world.
INARA
Control. Was the first lesson.
And the last and these worlds are
not like the Central Planets.
There is barbarism dressed up in
the most civil weeds. Men of the
highest rank who don't know the
difference between a Companion and
a common whore. It's unsafe.

SHEYDRA
All the more reason the girls look
to you. You came out here alone,
before the Alliance ever thought
to establish a House this remote.
You've seen so much. You're a
figure of great romance to them.

INARA
Great romance has nothing to do
with being a Companion, Sheydra.
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby talynthia5280 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks, all! I'm checking around for the right size glass syringe. Luckily I have access to a lab to compare modern plastic ones and then extrapolate for glass. Which you can still find, pretty cheap too, on eBay, from China. I restore fountain pens, so having glass syringes are handy for filling and cleaning.

The box, if I'm making a semi-accurate assumption about the size of her hands, should be about 3.5 inches wide, by about 2 inches tall, by 8 to 10 inches long. It was the length of the box and that the syringe is almost the entire length of it that caught my eye. Also, that it is slender. It's less thick than her finger. I'll keep everyone posted on my searches.
Last edited by talynthia5280 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talynthia5280
Alliance soldier

Postby taimdala » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Cool! I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. :)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby talynthia5280 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Totally exciting news! After much searching and comparison, I think I found the right kind of glass syringe. If you eBay search or google "1 cc Tuberculin Glass Syringe", you should find them. You can add "metal Luer lok", but you may not find them if the search is too narrow. The markings are as close as I can get them without a better image of the screen used syringe. The problem I run into is that even the Blu-Ray Firefly edition is not the best resolution, even when played on an HD system and on a 52" HDTV. Also, does anyone else think that the bottle/vial she has in there looks like a bottle of ginsing extract from the local Asian market? They come in long boxes of 30 bottles per box.

The length and the thickness look about right, with the right needle on it, should do the trick. Happy hunting!

1 cc Tuberculin Syringe.JPG

Inara-003 Needle.PNG
talynthia5280
Alliance soldier

Postby taimdala » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm

WOOT! Great find, talynthia! Congrats! :D
taimdala
Browncoat

Return to Serenity