Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Malcolm Reynolds Browncoat Uniform

Episode 1 - Serenity

Malcolm Reynolds Browncoat Uniform

Postby JHiggins » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 am

Just thought I'd share this, since I had never noticed it before. During the battle of Serenity Valley, you can see Malcolm wearing two WWII French shoulder cords, often called at Fourragères, on his uniform. His looks to be all red/rouge, so they are both most likely a French Legion of Honour Fourragères.

He appears to be the only one wearing it, just a little detail I noticed and thought you'd all appreciate.
JHiggins
Blue Hand guy

Re: Malcolm Reynolds Browncoat Uniform

Postby marc pasquin » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:25 pm

in my head cannon (based solely on some historical precedent), the fouragere was a symbol of his brevet rank of captain. I my mind, considering the state of the independents, you probably had a bunch of sergeants and lieutenants with fouragere of various colours acting in the role of company/battalion/regimental commanders but without the official promotion having been granted.
marc pasquin
Alliance soldier

Postby pennausamike » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:55 pm

I remembered the cord, but never knew it was a real thing.
And I agree it works as a field promotion badge of rank.
Now I want one to hang on my Mal and Zoe armistice display!

Mike

pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:06 pm

marc pasquin wrote:in my head cannon (based solely on some historical precedent), the fouragere was a symbol of his brevet rank of captain. I my mind, considering the state of the independents, you probably had a bunch of sergeants and lieutenants with fouragere of various colours acting in the role of company/battalion/regimental commanders but without the official promotion having been granted.

And that's always been the best explanation of it I've heard discussed. Almost everyone that's ever talked about believes it's most likely a designation earned in the field. And...it looks cool.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby browncoat2x2 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Ah, glad I found this!
I've been researching Aiguillettes instead of Fourragères! But I agree, I think that's definitely a Fourragères (or pair of)

My only thought about it denoting his brevet rank of Captain, is that he is wearing at least one of them at the Battle of Du-Khang, where he fought with Tracey, who always referred to him as a Sgt... (http://www.caps.swannees-place.com/fire ... play_media) which makes me lean more towards them being awarded for distinguishing himself in battle as opposed to rank.... thoughts?

Also looking into the actual fabric of Mal's uniform coat... leaning toward fustian or hemp. Anyone ever see one of those coats up close and personal like?
browncoat2x2
Reaver

Postby marc pasquin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 am

browncoat2x2 wrote:
My only thought about it denoting his brevet rank of Captain, is that he is wearing at least one of them at the Battle of Du-Khang, where he fought with Tracey, who always referred to him as a Sgt... (http://www.caps.swannees-place.com/fire ... play_media) which makes me lean more towards them being awarded for distinguishing himself in battle as opposed to rank.... thoughts?

While not impossible, a counterargument would be that, at least historically, fouragere were awards given to entire units, not individual. If so, it is possible that Tracey refers to Mal as "sarge" out of habit, just as he address him after waking up on the serenity despite (one assume) serving under him until the end.
marc pasquin
Alliance soldier

Return to Serenity