Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Dobson Stuff

Episode 1 - Serenity

Re: Dobson Stuff

Postby Badger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Many a true word, GW.

Joe, you know the name of the armourer? Shit, that information was cunningly hidden in the Firefly Official Companion Volume 1, dammit. :lol:

There is a big concern in LA that's trying to corner everything prop/gun related.
They are burying the small guys. They undercut every price, even individual blank ammo rounds, to make sure they get the business. Even if they make a loss.

Here's an example: They rented a big film four 50.Cal heavy machine guns for the price of one from any of the other armourers. They then provided two armourers on set for free, rather than on a daily charge. They them gave them half the ammo for free.

Consequently, guess who's right at the top of their list of suppliers for the next job?

Showbiz. Gotta love it.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Goodwolf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Badger wrote:There is a big concern in LA that's trying to corner everything prop/gun related.
They are burying the small guys. They undercut every price, even individual blank ammo rounds, to make sure they get the business. Even if they make a loss.

As I understand it, that's illegal. Wal Mart got in a boatload of trouble for doing something similar a few years back.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Haha, well seems we're bein' secretive an' all about names of companies here. Maybe I should've written "contact info" instead of "name", not that such info is hard to come by either. :lol:

But hmm... seein' as we're talking about Dobson stuff... we need to get someone to throw an Astra 400 in some silicone.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Just messin' Joe. ;)
These days, no is that hard to find......

GW,
come on, just because it's illegal doesn't mean it doesn't go on all the time :D

I'm not sure it is actually illegal, strictly speaking.
A deal is a deal.
All 'Bastard and Co.' need to do is to claim they didn't know the prices the other companies were charging....

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:06 am

Joatrash wrote:But hmm... seein' as we're talking about Dobson stuff... we need to get someone to throw an Astra 400 in some silicone.

The issue is...I have only rudimentary mold-making skills (I've done a bit of prosthetics work in my day, but that's it) - but I'd be up for it.
You know what your Hot Animal Machine's looking for right now? THE MONEY TO BUY A "PHILLIPE" MAL...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:12 am

If you've done 2-part molds for prosthetics then you've got the basics down. Haven't seen one up-close but the Astra doesn't seem too compex to cast. The main fiddly bits are embedding it in clay to get a nice mold-line and keeping air bubbles out of the silicone. (Also, I don't know how gun-grease reacts with silicone if you've got her all oiled up.)
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 am

Joe,
Prosthetic make up moulds are usually rigid, as the cast pieces are soft and will pull out regardless of undercuts. Some silicone gel filled appliance moulds have a silicone rubber female side and a rigid core. But, most are rigid two part fibreglass or plaster.

What's required here is a block (Flood) mould or a silicone lined jacket (displacement or butter-on) mould.

This isn't for the first time mould maker.

Get in touch with Robstyle on the RPF. He's one of the best mould makers around and is a professional propmaker. His work is outstanding..... but in a good way :lol:

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Well, I'm nothing more than an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to mold making and casting, but I've done prosthetics (mainly cold foam and slip latex for a couple film projects in the 90's) and resin+pewter casting in silicone block molds (Jubel's pistol, vera slugs and a few other things).

I just meant that if you've done prosthetics with 2-part molds then you probably have the basic skills to cast a pistol as well. (Even if you need to read up on exactly how to do it.) Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to try it but then I don't have an Astra. :lol:
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:07 pm

I thought I could clay up all the openings, build a box, fill it with oil based clay to half, sink one half of the gun, key the clay, apply mold release, and pour silicone. Then...do the flipside - lather, rinse, repeat.

But then I remember the last time I worked with silicone was about 1996, and it's not like I was a master craftsman then. If there was someone nearby who could pull it off, I'd do it and get the mold to someone here who knew what they were doing.

I'm gonna' take a couple hours today to let my fingers do the walking. Wonder how much shit I'll get from these places when they discover I want them to cast a firearm...?

Maybe I should break out the ol' Smooth-On catalogues...
You know what your Hot Animal Machine's looking for right now? THE MONEY TO BUY A "PHILLIPE" MAL...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby Badger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Or......

Try Robstyle on the RPF.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

PreviousNext

Return to Serenity