Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Buttons on the Alliance Officer uniforms

Episode 1 - Serenity

Buttons on the Alliance Officer uniforms

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:04 am

I am looking to see if anyone can help me ID these buttons. I am doing the uniform and need to track down a few of these.
Thanks.

"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Re: Buttons on the Alliance Officer uniforms

Postby taimdala » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:46 pm

OOhhhhh, costume!

Since I spent over a decade as a beader (read: bead FREAK!), my first thought is that the button you're looking for is one half of a toggle clasp for jewelry. See here:

http://www.tierracast.com/copyrightimages.php?cat=6

Item 94-6003 looks to be what you need.

I notice that Tierra Cast only sells wholesale online. If that's a problem for you, try Fire Mountain Gems and Beads. They sell to anyone and they carry Tierra Cast products. You can find 94-6003 here (scroll down a bit):

http://www.firemountaingems.com/search/ ... ggle+clasp

FMG sells the complete clasp--natch!--but the ring part of the toggle has lots of uses, too. Miniature drawer pulls, pendant, zipper pull, earring dangle, etc. etc. etc.

Of course, the Firefly costume department took the toggle half of the clasp and spray painted it a matte silver but I'm envisioning a whole ranking system based on the metal color of the toggle. Like .... gold for high eschelon officer ranks, silver for the lower, copper for enlisted, etc. ;) I'm also pretty sure that the toggle isn't a true button that goes through a buttonhole. Rather, it's something sewn on top to *look* like it's been buttoned through. I think the flap is actually secured by snaps. If you look really closely at the left-hand edge (closest to the viewer) just past the bottom knob of the top toggle, you can see a glint of something light colored just peeking out from under the flap, in the shadow. That very well could be one-half of a sew-on snap. Which you can get on cards at any sewing/material store anywhere.

Please let me know if this works for you, Citizen Browncoat, and I hope you post pics of the costume once it's put together. I'd love to see it.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 pm

WAIT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

http://beads.artbeads.com/search?w=tier ... sug=tierra

You can get the same clasp at about half the price FMG sells it for. Heh. I love the internet. Best. Shopping. Search. Engine. EVER.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Oh no fear I was positive that it was a snap - but as for the button/toggle itself - THANK YOU for the info. You have been very helpful.
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:31 pm

http://www.artbeads.com/sa-6021.html - I think this is the one, but I am not sure if the size would be correct :-/

Last edited by Citizen_Browncoat on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby taimdala » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:32 pm

Citizen Browncoat wrote:Oh no fear I was positive that it was a snap - but as for the button/toggle itself - THANK YOU for the info. You have been very helpful.

My pleasure! ::lol::
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Citizen_Browncoat wrote:http://www.artbeads.com/sa-6021.html - I think this is the one, but I am not sure if the size would be correct :-/

Looks right to me. ;)
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 pm

perfect!
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:02 am

alright - it seems that we are back to square one.
The beading toggles - while similar - are not the right size.

These need to be bigger. I know that Shawna recently had an auction - did any of our members manage to grab the Alliance notes and sketches?
I am becoming desperate in this search. I have never had this much difficulty tracking something down in my entire life - lol.
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby taimdala » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 pm

C_B, you could assemble the toggle out of separate components: a cone, a rondelle spacer, and a round bead. So ... for a single toggle, you'd need two cones and two round beads and a single spacer. You'd need wire to string them on and a ball of putty inside each cone to stabilize it (so it doesn't wiggle) on the wire. Some really good epoxy or watchmaker's superglue-type glue to glue the beads in place on the wire.

The tricky part of assembling it from components is
1) getting the right diameter of cone bead and spacer rondelle. If the rondelle is too small, it will disappear inside the cone. If it's too big, it will protrude too far beyond the edge of the cone.
2) getting the right length of cone bead.

This is what I found at Fire Mountain Gems:

6.4 x 4mm brass cone.
8mm beaded rondelle.
6mm round bead.

Wire--20 gauge or higher will do, whatever will fit through the holes.
Putty or clay, whatever works best for you.
Glue.

String a 6mm bead on the wire, then a cone (narrow end against the 6mm bead), then ball of putty to fit inside the cone to keep it steady, spacer, ball of putty, fit wide end of second cone over the putty and push flush against the spacer, 6mm bead. Glue between beads, clip wire flush against the 6mm rounds.

That takes care of the shape, but what about the button shank? You could make that too with a wrapped wire loop between the "points" of the rondelle. 22 gauge wire or maybe 24 gauge should do it.

If you think you need a longer cone bead, there is a 14x8mm version, an 9mm rondelle with loop (no need to make a wire shank), and 10mm rounds. However, I think this will size out too big. Even so, I'm including it as an alternative.

Lastly, Fire Mountain Gems has a bead that has all the above all-in-one. I mention it last only because it has no way to attach it to the costume. You'll have to drill a hole through it off center on the bead. It's base-metal fake pewter, so I have no idea what sort of drill bit you're going to need. Furthermore, the cone portion of the bead is textured. You'd have to file it off or fill it in with something before you could use it.

Since all the components (or drill-your-own bead) will get spray painted a matte silver, making the colors match isn't a problem. It just has to look like an all-in-one once the paint dries.

If the above doesn't quite work, you could assemble the above and then use polymer clay (like Sculpy, Premo, or Fimo) to make a mold of the bead. Once the mold is made, you can make a toggle from polymer clay, modify it until it's right, make a mold of the modified toggle, and then make as many copies of the toggle as you'd like. Or you could flat-out sculpt the danged thing out of polymer clay from scratch, cure it in the oven, and then make molds off the cured item for multiple copies. No bead components need apply.

If you go that route, you can get up-eye fasteners for the toggle shank. That way you need only make a small hole in the polymer clay for the up-eye shaft. Heck, you could sink the up-eye in before curing it in the oven.

There are a couple of styles of up-eye, here and here.

As with any polymer clay project, any utensils you use that comes in contact with the clay can NEVER be used for food again. You can get inexpensive foil pans to hold the polymer clay in the oven. Put it inside a turkey roasting bag and seal tightly before baking. The polymer clay will give off chemical fumes as it bakes and you do not want it depositing chemicals in an oven you plan to cook food in. The turkey bag will capture it, keeping it contained, and you can throw the bag out when you're done. Safe and tidy.

Also, you can use Sugru for either filling in the texture on the all-in-one bead or to stabilize the components. Or maybe even to sculpt the toggle from scratch and avoid the polymer clay route. It's pretty amazing stuff. You can get it here. Make sure you use it inside 6 months of the date printed on the package. Or stick it in the refrigerator to double the shelf-life.

I realize that no matter what route you take, it will be more work than simply buying a toggle, but it can be done. I hope this helps.
taimdala
Browncoat

Next

Return to Serenity