Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Buttons on the Alliance Officer uniforms

Episode 1 - Serenity

Re: Buttons on the Alliance Officer uniforms

Postby jason1976 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 pm

First off, I love all of these ideas. :) Makes me want to take a crack at it. (if I didn't already have a list of projects a mile long.)

taimdala wrote:Lastly, Fire Mountain Gems has a bead that has all the above all-in-one. I mention it last only because it has no way to attach it to the costume. You'll have to drill a hole through it off center on the bead. It's base-metal fake pewter, so I have no idea what sort of drill bit you're going to need. Furthermore, the cone portion of the bead is textured. You'd have to file it off or fill it in with something before you could use it.

As for this bead, as a base, for the alliance bead. It looks a little fat too me, but I could be wrong. (I no see so good. )

Personaly I wish we could just find the aliance beads, all made up, but I've been looking for a wile myself, with no luck.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Yah, jason1976, I wish it were possible to get it ready-made, too. Personally, it has the look of a novelty button from the 1970s/80s and for all we know, Shawna came across someone's vintage button collection at a garage sale or as part of an auction lot and simply scored big.

Of course, you can find buttons online too .... ooh, I feel another Google Image Search coming on...
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Of course, this looks nothing like the button we're looking for but it's still pretty cool. I imagine this could find all sorts of uses--either as a hardware detail on a prop or as rank insignia or something.

This one also looks versatile enough to use in a variety of ways, assuming you can find a way to disguise the hole placement as something else. Maybe sink a LED in them or something?

This Italian toggle button proves that the toggle style is still alive and well. Just not in the shape we're looking for. I like this one though. It has a suitably steampunk-ish look to it.

And this one is way interesting for the possibilities. It's got four holes... but what holes! (And here is the two-holed version, the round version, and the oval version). Think of this as a brace for copper or brass tubing. Just thread the tubing through the holes and you've got something really nifty looking.

But I digress ...

Gonna keep looking though. I've only just gotten started. ;)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:31 pm

For those who are looking for clasps for their Mal Browncoat, take a look at this.

This one is also cool--but not what we're looking for in this thread.

Y'all want me to start a button/costuming thread?
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks for the input guys - I really appreciate it.
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby taimdala » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 am

You're welcome C_B. I did get a little carried away, though. Sorry!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Manwihtoutfear » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Taimdala, those are some great alternatives for the Mal coat clasp. Thanks for posting these.
Manwihtoutfear
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Oh, hey, those Mal clasp ideas, are very cool. I'm going to (at some point) try making my own, but if that doesn't workout, those are going to be my plan B. And even if I don't use them for a Mal browncoat, that Button with Magnet Center would look good on a lot of stuff. (like maybe something close in design to Mal's movie shirts)
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:46 am

jason1976 wrote:Oh, hey, those Mal clasp ideas, are very cool. I'm going to (at some point) try making my own, but if that doesn't workout, those are going to be my plan B. And even if I don't use them for a Mal browncoat, that Button with Magnet Center would look good on a lot of stuff. (like maybe something close in design to Mal's movie shirts)

OOh, yeah! Hey, how about taking those magnetic clasps, coating them with matte black paint and then taking some 800 or 1600 sandpaper and distressing the black off again in spots? That would give it a nice worn-in look. Heck, maybe you should get turquoise paint and add it first in the corners, then cover with black, so that you'd have the distressed look WITH copper/brass verdigris effect added.

If you think it would help, you could run your bicycle over them for the really gritty-grungy-pitted "been to hell and back" scuffing.

Just a thought.

EDITED TO ADD:

LOL. Just had another thought: tying the clasps to a line and dragging them behind her car for a block or two. That would really put the distress on them. It might make the neighbors look at you funny, but that's part of the fun, right?
taimdala
Browncoat

Previous

Return to Serenity