Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

bar glasses: which water bottle?

Episode 2 - The Train Job

bar glasses: which water bottle?

Postby Mara Jade's Father » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:52 am

Since the glasses in the Alliance friendly bar appears to be water bottles with the tops cut off, does any one know what brand water the bottle is from?
Mara Jade's Father
Reaver

Re: bar glasses: which water bottle?

Postby keelhauler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:01 am

As far as I know it hasn't been positively identified. There's a very old thread over on the RPF with a brief discussion of the bottle: http://www.therpf.com/f9/help-me-find-bottle-9002/

There might be other threads or maybe someone has identified it since. I'd love to find this bottle too!
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:38 am

Yeah, I remember being on the lookout for those as well.
Never DID find the right ones.

I'm still looking for some Ng Ka Py as well.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:03 pm

This is one of those things that I figured close enough it going to be as good as it gets, especially since these days water bottles are made out of much thinner plastic than they were back then. I have some older ones that aren't exactly right, but if you squint a little they'll do ok.

Bronson, do you want actual Ng Ka Pei or just the bottle? I've spoken with a local Chinese Herbalist and have the ingredients to make it, just haven't sat down to do it yet. If it's the bottle you're after, I have a friend in NYC who could maybe arrange a trip to Chinatown and have a look around.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 am

`Wolf, Well, I'd like a bottle for its prop value, and the actual drink so I can give it a try.
I'd like to bring it to a Shindig and pass it around.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Well, Ng Ka Pei is a traditional medicine, and it lives up to the rep of if it tastes bad it must be good for you. Honestly I don't know how well it'd go over as a casual drink without some sort of dressing up.

I'll see if Matt has some time where he can get over to Chinatown.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Matt went to Chinatown and picked up a bottle of Ng Ka Py for me. It's supposedly working it's way here even as I type.

#smug
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Jeaaaalous.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Photos when you get it, Mr. Smug Goodwolf. :lol:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 pm

It's here!

OK, a couple pics. I wanted to add more but my camera phone is craptastic and the lighting is crap as well. I'll work on it for mo' bettah pics.

This is how it came out of the box. It still has the red "silk" cover on it. I've placed it next to a food bar for a sense of scale.

This is after I took the silk thing off. I kinda liked the way it looked but it had started fraying around the edges and that was just annoying. And I figured it'd have to come off eventually so's I could sample the stuff. The "lid" is basically a clay disc with a crown embossed on it and it has one of those ribbed plastic columns instead of a cork. And there are some cool labels with all Chinese writing and stuff.

The flavor is... interesting. It's potent stuff and honestly I was expecting it to taste like ass but it has a nice flavor. Almost savory or spicy. It kind of calls to mind five spice powder. Definitely drinkable in smallish amounts.

It has three labels. The pink one you see above and a yellow one on the back all in Chinese and a red one with Chinese. Then one of those ridiculous "Government Warning" labels on that I'll need to remove. And I'm toying with the idea of replacing the pink one with a more 'Verse style one. I've had this idea for one that is more snake oil sounding. Ol' Doc Chang's ? ? ? (wu jia pi or ng ka py) or something along those lines.

I think I'll pick up some honey tomorrow and see how it tastes sweetened a bit.

Edit to add: Aparently Wing Lee Wai (Two Cranes) has been in business for a while. I found a site with some of their vintage bottles from around the turn of the 19th century listing the stuff at 96 proof. These days it's a more sedate 48 proof.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Next

Return to The Train Job