Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Godzilla

Episode 3 - Bushwacked

Godzilla

Postby keelhauler » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Has anyone identified the correct Godzilla figure used in this scene? (I'm assuming it's Godzilla)

"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Re: Godzilla

Postby Bronson BB » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Looking at the spines on its back, if it IS Godzilla, it's the GINO version from the last American movie.
(Yeah, the travesty)
GINO: Godzilla in name only.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby xardoz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:43 pm

The hammer-shaped head with the short neck and eyes close to the sides supports that thought, Bronson. Definitely Godzilla 1998.
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby keelhauler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 am

Thanks guys! If I find the figure I'll post it!
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Also, those colors tell me the prop department took an airbrush to it. All that blue on the back and belly looks pretty quickly thrown on.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Bronson BB wrote:Also, those colors tell me the prop department took an airbrush to it. All that blue on the back and belly looks pretty quickly thrown on.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well.
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:32 am

Hi!

Regarding the Godzilla toy: The iridescent blue paint scheme really was used on the spine and the belly. Lighting in those screen grabs is what it is, so it's hard to tell if the prop department did an elaborate repaint - but...(gulp)...I'm staring at a Trendmasters Godzilla figure right now - and that is the paint job.

I think the design of that creature is really great...and I thought the movie was...okay - it just would have made more sense to call it what it was - a remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. It sure as hell isn't Godzilla.

To make things even worse - I remember AICN running production artwork featuring that body/physique, but with the Godzilla head we all know and love (circa vs. Biollante). I think we'd all feel at least slightly better about the film if the creature on display felt anything like Big G.

At any rate, the figure in those screen grabs seems beefier or, if you prefer - more beefy - than the Trendmasters (American) take on the toys. This leads me to believe that the screen used item could be of Japanese origin (which suits Firefly's Asian influence). The Patrick Tatopolous design was accepted into Toho Godzilla canon - it was referred to as "'Zilla" in Japan - and plenty of toys based on the design were made there. Typically, the sculpts depicted the U.S. Godzilla as having longer arms, a thicker midsection, and a more upright stance - with its legs closer together - which tracks with the creature in the screen grabs. This seems like it could be in scale with the vinyl toys made by Bandai. I couldn't find any pics of the figures from that period - only this one from 2005's Final Wars. 'Zilla's in the back.

He's depicted there as having more bulk and much thicker limbs than say...here:

Then again - so many sculpts of that creature were used for so many purposes...pens, shampoo bottles, beverage holders - it's hard to know. But this info might be a start...
You know what your Hot Animal Machine's looking for right now? THE MONEY TO BUY A "PHILLIPE" MAL...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Postby Hot Animal Machine » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 am

Oh - I should mention that neither one of those 'Zilla images support my statement that the paint job really did have that blue thing going - but the Final Wars figure above is small and lacks detail, and the bottom image is of the "deluxe" toy - which is about 18" tall and features an elaborate paint job. For a lot of the smaller figures, a swatch of shimmery blue on the back and the belly and some orange dots for eyes was as good as it got.
You know what your Hot Animal Machine's looking for right now? THE MONEY TO BUY A "PHILLIPE" MAL...
Hot Animal Machine
Blue Hand guy

Return to Bushwacked