Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

My Mal Pistol Project

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

My Mal Pistol Project

Postby drewsmith007 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 am

Here's the 3d model I made of all the pieces. I modeled them based on screenshots, the applied effects movie refit pictures, and various photos provided here and elsewhere.

I uploaded all the parts that I plan on printing to shapeways, and it would cost around $160 to print them. that's not counting the grip frame or grips.

I'm waiting on replacement electronics for my printer, and then I'll try to print a few of the pieces with my printer. Hopefully they'll work out OK, since I think the original masters were printed and these would have a similar texture on the inside parts...

I still have to build my CNC router to cut the grips. I think I'll have the grip frame waterjet cut and then I'll mill the scroll out, if the little mill I have can handle it. Or, I might have the piece made...

I have a jeweler friend that assures me he can cast these parts in brass using lost wax method. I've done some aluminum casting, but never brass so I'm not sure how that will go.

The base pistol will be a cut down Taurus model 94 in .22lr.

Anyway, this project has been long in the making, and this is at least the 4th ground up revision to these parts.

Thanks to everyone who has helped shed light on the parts. I'm also open to criticism, so fire away!
Last edited by drewsmith007 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Re: My Mal Pistol Project

Postby drewsmith007 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:02 am

Here's a shot of the assembly. It doesn't have a trigger guard or trigger because the methods I used to get the profile of the pistol wouldn't give an accurate shape, so I left it off.

Last edited by drewsmith007 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 am

Awesome. I look forward to the finish.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Malmeansbad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:19 am

Shiny!
Malmeansbad
Alliance soldier

Postby Badger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 am

This is very ambitious.
A jeweler isn't likely to have cast parts as large as these, watch out for compound shrinkage from the mould to the wax to the metal cast. It can be as much as 8% to 12% in extreme cases...

Best of luck with the build.
I have one pair of walnut grips left, if you need them let me know.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby RobStyle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Listen to Badger, he knows the does and donts, ins and outs of this type of project.

Not to be too much the burden of bad news but you are going to be extremely hard pressed to get parts to fit on an existing revolver without massive modifications. Those modifications were done, developed and fabricated by experienced professionals and then modified yet again years later to correct unforeseen issues lingering from the original build.

As Badger stated the main issue with the castings will be shrinkage and every single part will have its own special shrinkage rate. Even the live fire hero guns show signs of various shrinkage between all the parts individually. There is also a parts failure rate on the castings you will encounter. In the end you may be up scaling your files doing numerous molds and castings to get one solid set of parts to assemble... Then at that fitment will come down to hand file work after basic machining where needed.

Ive said it 100 times, the Mal pistol is a cursed project. Only one person nailed it, twice, and he gave some solid advice. Rethink everything when you have already done so twice. It may seem OCD but unless you have unlimited funds to toss around, OCD will be your best friend in the end.
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby drewsmith007 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Thanks for the compliments and pointers. I've been rethinking this for well over 3 years, and I'm sure there's plenty of rethinking involved in the future...
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Oh, there will be....

:)

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby kman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Any progress? I'll bet there are still people out there who would be interested in one of these, if you have come up with a way to make them for a semi-sane price. ;)

<--- hint
kman
Reaver

Postby drewsmith007 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Still getting my printer running again. The parts should be in today, and I'll be printing some pieces ASAP. I found a foundry near me that does investment casting, but I don't think the small run size will be affordable.

I'm not going to be offering any parts, I don't want to interfere with the license holder. Sorry...
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Next

Return to Recurring props and costumes