Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

My Mal Pistol Project

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Re: My Mal Pistol Project

Postby Jan Schattling » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:01 pm

I think he is talking about the part where the front of the cylinder that houses the ammunition meets the barrel and has a gap.
With normal ammo the amount of gas that escape is really high (Mythbusters did an Episode about the fact that it can rip your finger of) and since these parts are covered by the fake housing the pressure will blow it up.
Since in the movies most of the time the actual shooting is done in post this is not a problem. A gun is dangerous, even with blanks and you don't want your actors to get hurt.
In this case they actually fired the gun but used very small loads, only to have a muzzle flash for the sound and sfx guys to have a visual clue.

My personal opinion is, that if you are not trained as a gunsmith, you should keep your hands off of this project.
Nothing against making a prop but if you plan to actually fire the gun after modifying it that much, you should really know what you are doing.
Jan Schattling
Alliance soldier

Postby msglaigaie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:59 pm

"My personal opinion is, that if you are not trained as a gunsmith, you should keep your hands off of this project.
Nothing against making a prop but if you plan to actually fire the gun after modifying it that much, you should really know what you are doing."

This is Truth!! I have been working with firearms for over fifty years. If you are in any doubt as to your ability, do NOT try this project. Think of the words...Wound....Maim....amputate. All viable results for someone without the needed skills.

Drilling holes will not work, it WILL blow up. The gap is too big to vent. Even Mal's Hero gun had troubles with this. Be careful.
msglaigaie
Independent Soldier

Postby Risu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Then I guess I won't be firing it. The main goal is to have a perfectly accurate replica, so the real gun is definitely better than a CNCed piece or something like that.

I talked to a guns smith today about the modifications, wanted to make sure it's all legal here. He said it sounds fine, but he brought up a good point. What happens to the hammer spring when you replace the grip? Do you just make a channel for it in the new grip and tweak the angle, or is there some other way to do it?
Risu
Independent Soldier

Postby pennausamike » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:58 pm

There are pictures on the web of the Mal pistol opened up,
showing how they made the hammer spring mount in the new water jet cut grip frame.
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Risu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:18 am

Oh cool. I think I remember the collection of photos you're talking about, I'll have to track it down again.
Risu
Independent Soldier

Postby msglaigaie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:17 pm

hey, been down on motorcycle accident.

the spring can easily be rerouted in the new grip.
msglaigaie
Independent Soldier

Previous

Return to Recurring props and costumes