Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

First Part of Bellflower is out!

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: First Part of Bellflower is out!

Postby AZSneed » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am

Finally. Four years since part 2, at least it is still active. Now to download it.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Hooray!
Tho' as mentioned, 3 to 4 years is a heck of a long wait for the third installment of what looks like 12 total.
The only thing worse would be seeing the project abandoned as "Into The Black" was.
(In their case, apparently the challenge is converting videotape into digital files.)
As I have mentioned, it is primarily a one man show, and time and money (especially time)
are limited commodities for non-film folks with real-life demands.
But, enough whinging about impatience; so how's the segment?

Just as a reminder, when I watch "Bellflower", my fan film goggles are firmly mounted on my face.
The theme song makes me feel the way "Firefly" hasn't in quite awhile.
The scenes lifting the Bell out of New Melbourne had the weight of a real ship,
and the "camera" shot over the engine as the Bell tilted skyward was a very cool mood-setter with The Browncoats score setting the pace.
The acting doesn't pull me out of the story, because for every nudge like describing the workings of the 55 gallon drum in the cargo bay,
there is an off-setting moment like, "did you remember the registered items?"
I like the camera work.
I feel the shots vary between wide and close up as they should, and I recognized the Joss-inspired film pauses for pensive Jess.
(Though that is one we might not want to revisit, as Joss himself noted it didn't quite convey what he hoped.)
I really like some of the secondary characters;
the bubbly clerk, the oily questionable goods shipper,
and what looks like a dealer in desires of the flesh on the space station (seen in the preview.)
My only real complaint is tied to the slow release schedule, because the story isn't developing quickly enough.
We are only now meeting the third main character, which isn't a problem after a thirty minute introduction,
but in the context of a five year wait...well, you know...back to my lottery-winning fantasies
of having the resources to push these Firefly Fan Films (including my own) over the finish line.

(Which, by way of a boost of the signal, makes Francis' completion of "Browncoats: Independence War" all the more amazing!)

So, I offer my thanks and congrats to the Bellflower crew for keeping her in the air,
and I'll be here, waiting for the next installment.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Watching it now!

First, I love the music. It's a good mix.

Second, I love all the CGI shots. The sheer amount of detail that went into building the port from the ground up .... SQUEEEEE!!! SO MANY yummy buildings and structures to look at. SO MANY moving pieces and parts to drool over.

Third, the shipboard scenes: they were good. I could wish that they had more lights to better light the scenes and maybe better sound equipment but I know they aren't made of money. They did a fantastic job with what they did have. I liked it all.

Some things I've noticed:

1. Unsteady-cam.
I know it gives a more documentary feel to everything but I hope they can invest in a steady-cam rig soon. I had to pause the video to let my stomach catch up

2. At mark 04:40, the markings on the starboard thruster pod are printed backwards. I wonder why? For those who might be interested, they read:
"Capissen 38"
"071070-101269"

3. At mark 05:33, I loved the aerial shot of the coastline. I want to say it's an image of Los Angeles's coastline but I know it's probably a piece of Australia. Does anyone recognize it?

4. From 05:35 to 05:42 they cleverly indicated the transition from atmo to space by changing the light coming in through the cockpit windows from daylight to dark. Nice touch!

5. At mark 05:51, I love the shot of the planet. It looks like a space shot of Earth modified in post to a different color. There's a land mass under the clouds. Does anyone recognize it?

6. At 07:23, I want a better look at the fruit crate labels, both of them, on the crates used in the galley to hold things. (And I got my wish at 07:37 and at 08:14) I love the fact that they even MADE the labels, instead of just using bare crates in the shot.

7. At 07:51, we get a look at the food cans on the shelf: I think I recognize PhoenixVader's Peach can label from propcircle.com and there is a Blue Sun label (possibly the Coffee can/Crybaby label) on the shelf too.

8. At 08:16, the child's crayon drawing on the cabinet is a poignant touch. Again, it's that kind of detail that I love. The black plaque in the decorative counter trimming is another nice touch. I don't know what the stylized Chinese character is supposed to be. Does anyone recognize it?

9. Maybe it was just my internet connection but the dubbing seemed off in the cargo hold scene with the Jayne hat and the oil drum gizmo. The lip movements and the dialogue track didn't synch up.

10. One last thing and I'll shut up: seeing all the items rattlin' 'round loose aboard Bellflower made me cringe. Dishes, pots, pans, items in the hold, all of it---if you have to pull a fast maneuver and your compensators can't adjust fast enough, every single unsecured object becomes a projectile, every compartment aboard that ship becomes a killing box. Eeeek! OMG Eeek!
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 am

taimdala wrote:Watching it now!

Some things I've noticed:

1. Unsteady-cam.
This was all shot over a decade ago. What they have is what they have.

3. 5. This should all be CGI of New Melbourne

10. Re-watch Firefly. There are "ready-to-become-airborne projectiles" in abundance in the source material, as well.
The living area off the dining area in Serenity is a mass of loose objects also.
My take? Think of Serenity and Bellflower as tramp steamers plying the South Pacific in the 1920's and 1930's, and I think you'll see the vibe fits.
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 am

On item 10 on my list:
Not saying the Bellflower film crew got it wrong vs. the source material. I was just saying it was a safety hazard for shipside living.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 am

taimdala wrote:On item 10 on my list:
Not saying the Bellflower film crew got it wrong vs. the source material. I was just saying it was a safety hazard for shipside living.

You ain't whistlin' Dixie, sister, but think how homey it looks :-)
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 am

I just finally watched it. I agree with both of yours views of the film, very enjoyable, and like how it is a side story to The Message.

Mary, as for number 9, it was your connection, not out of lip sync problem on my download.

Was the video low quality? My download was.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 pm

pennausamike wrote:
taimdala wrote:On item 10 on my list:

You ain't whistlin' Dixie, sister, but think how homey it looks :-)

Yup! Homey like band-aids and stitches! :lol:
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 pm

AZSneed wrote:I just finally watched it. I agree with both of yours views of the film, very enjoyable, and like how it is a side story to The Message.

Mary, as for number 9, it was your connection, not out of lip sync problem on my download.

Was the video low quality? My download was.

It was kinda low-quality but yeah, most likely it was my connection. Our internet pipe has been cantankerous lately. I suspect our provider is yanking our chain to "encourage" us to pay for something more expensive. (The bastards ...)
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:44 pm

I used youtube downloader to save the videos, because of my dial-up, and even picking the choice of BEST AVAILABLE, it was low quality, so it might not have been your provider.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Previous

Return to Non-canon props